F1 2021 (Xbox Series X) Review & Comments

They have added the one thing I wanted most which was a two player proper career so really looking forward to it. Shame there's not more progress but 2020 was an excellent game so more of the same with a few tweaks is fine for me.

Thanks for the review, its been many years since I've played a F1 game, so looking forward to this.

Shop around people, I picked this up for £42 (PS5 version) a few months back on preorder, currently £45 in a few places.

It looks good from that review and sounds fun to play

Perhaps the biggest complaint about F1 2021 is that it doesn’t come with any of new tracks or even the changes made to the likes of Australia and Abu Dhabi. We’re told that Imola, Portimao and Jeddah will follow as free updates, but it’s a little disappointing that we’re racing the 2021 season on last year’s circuits

the same game engine still using much the same models and backdrops as before. Although there are clearly some old animations still in place, there are also a fair few new ones, while others have been reworked or nicely polished, but the fact remains that the core of F1 2021 still looks very much like that of F1 2020, which in turn looked very much like F1 2019 and an all-round makeover is more than overdue.

There are a few other omissions that may be missed,

In addition, the only legendary drivers on offer are hidden behind the Deluxe Edition – along with a few extra outfits and liveries for the not inconsiderable price of £75 – and even then they’re largely just in the game as secondary drivers to enlist for your MyTeam career.
this isn’t the leap forward many would have expected.
Let’s just hope that EA’s influence on the franchise in future years is more on the gameplay than the monetisation of content, but history does little for our confidence.
this isn’t quite the new-gen showcase it very much deserves to be.

So definitely an EA game then.

I was so disappointed to see Codemasters - the last real bastion of console sim (lite) racing games - selling out to the EA coin. This review confirms my worst fears. The track record with Madden and FIFA suggest it's all downhill from here, with an increasing focus on micro transactions and "stories" at the expense of improved gameplay, graphics and fun. :(

PS - an excellent review, thanks Ian.

Last edited:
Got this on PS5. Running at an awesome 4K @ 120fps

Got this on PS5. Running at an awesome 4K @ 120fps
At 120fps its 1440P :)

4K is the 60fps mode.

100% agree mind - game is awesome. Picked it up from the PS store for my PS5 last night - just getting the Dual Sense settings sorted as per the thread and the video posted by Kenny. It seems the dual sense triggers add to the feel a fair bit with the haptics and feedback which is why i decided to buy this years F1 game on PS5 rather than usual Xbox.

Can’t wait to get stuck into the story this afternoon (and the British GP this week too!)

At 120fps its 1440P :)

4K is the 60fps mode.

100% agree mind - game is awesome. Picked it up from the PS store for my PS5 last night - just getting the Dual Sense settings sorted as per the thread and the video posted by Kenny. It seems the dual sense triggers add to the feel a fair bit with the haptics and feedback which is why i decided to buy this years F1 game on PS5 rather than usual Xbox.

Can’t wait to get stuck into the story this afternoon (and the British GP this week too!)
What video? Yeah I know about 1440p but I thought ps5 doesn’t output that? My Q75t says 4k@120fps so I’m happy lol

There is a video in the PS5 games section for F1 2021 which Kenny Ninja, big racing gamer, posted up - i had asked him if he had tried the higher settings for haptics on Dual Sense. The video guide gives tips on how to set up the controls for best experience - the part i was really keen on was the options around making the Dual Sense haptics and strength higher and more impactful As that was the reason i was going PS5 rather than Series X - if the haptics added more.

As for the point about res and FPS - if you are happy then that is all that matters - if what you re seeing is good, then all good. at the end of the day 1440p native on a 4K screen isn’t too bad and the sheet fluidity afforded by 120fps and this type of game, i am sure you are having a great time :)

This is most frustrating multiplayer experience ever. I want to join a ranked lobby so the game decides to put me in one where the race has just started. I then need to sit through the entire race as a spectator before I can actually take part in the next race. What happens is though everyone then either DNF’s or as soon as they finish the race they quit out and the lobby closes so I’m back to square 1 trying to join a new lobby. What a mess!

Got this from cdkeys the other day for £17.99, really enjoying it however there are major issues with online which basically doesn't connect to games bar ranked games, a known issue on the codemasters forums which still hasn't been resolved, such a shame as the game is regally fun!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom