F1 2014 PC Preview - article discussion

Niall Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
Niall Gill looks at the latest in Codemasters' long running motorsports series.

Just as an FYI the 'next-gen' version is also due for release on PC around the time of the start of the real F1 season and will be updated to match the real world performance after each race. I imagine it will work like FIFA's system (if they are still doing it?).

I would suggest PC users wait for that version as this one will only be a minor update with all the same limitations of the ego engine.

This push to make things 'more accesible' and the headline feature of the 2014 release has me scratching my head in truth. Is it because other than the change in F1 regs they haven't done anything else with this release. Dare i say it, just a reskin with different engine sounds and updated car noses.

It was already pretty accesibile in all the previous releases.

Very odd. I get the impression that the Codemasters B-team is on this, or it has been farmed out to Asia whilst the main studio actually build a ground u new game for PS4/One/PC. At least it bloody better be a ground up new game. I'm not buying a 1080p version of this.

Another release where the community over on Race Department fix all the issues CM can't?

I'm with waiting for the 2015 release targeted for the Xbox One and PS4 as the current EGO egnine games look as old as the hills (I own Grid 2 and Grid: Autosport)

I get the impression that the Codemasters B-team is on this, or it has been farmed out to Asia whilst the main studio actually build a ground u new game for PS4/One/PC. At least it bloody better be a ground up new game. I'm not buying a 1080p version of this.

+1.

This game just reeks of "that'll do", "No we can't give you the budget to do that", "We simply can't be bothered"

Is this the same as film rights? you have to release a game so that you keep the rights for it? if so, this is one of those moments.

I'm confused - references seem to indicate a PC release alongside the PS3/360 versions soon and in the Spring alongside the PS4/X1 editions.

So there are two PC releases scheduled within six months or so ? Usually go for PC version for triple screen and mod support (fixes !).

I'm confused - references seem to indicate a PC release alongside the PS3/360 versions soon and in the Spring alongside the PS4/X1 editions.

So there are two PC releases scheduled within six months or so ? Usually go for PC version for triple screen and mod support (fixes !).
Yes, that is correct, F1 2014 which is releasing this month and is using the old engine based on the PS3/360 versions and the 2014 season.

Then in the spring they will release F1 2015 for next-gen only and PC which is based on the 2015 season so will most likely be widely inaccurate to begin with until we get the free updates to coincide with real life performance. I'm just hoping their new engine actually simulates the A.I with the same physics as the player as none of their games on the EGO engine did which was fine in GRID and DIRT but inexcusable in an F1 game.

From all the comments and reviews will have to give F1 2014 a miss, just doesn't look like it's worth the money and I haven't even been playing F1 2013 much. Lets see what they come up with for 2015.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom