• Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 wheel Integral T500
  • Logitech WingMan Formula Force GP Racing Wheel
  • Atomic Super Sport Evo Steering Wheel
  • Logic3 Tri Format Topdrive GT
  • Logic3 Tri Format Topdrive RF
  • Atomic TVR Sagaris Sport Racing Steering Wheel
  • CSR Elite

welshy

I have the previous three and still think F1 2013 is a great game for just a quick blast of single player fun especially the classic content. However, I really won't be buying this one though. It seems from the previews and now the reviews that not a lot has changed (for me anyway) to justify the expense.

Now if they included dedicated servers....

BassPunk

once again there wasn’t a fullscreen button
Its not needed in Windows games as using the keyboard shortcut Alt + Enter does this.

How is the surround sound and what about the multiplayer modes?.

Niall Gill

Alt + Enter hasn't worked for me since 2013, instead it makes the game a larger screen but still windowed. I've been perusing forums a lot recently and a few people suffered the same issue through 2013. I suppose it's just something that's followed me through to 2014, that's not to say it will effect everyone. Changing the config files is the only way I can make fullscreen work on my system.

Unfortunately I'm not running surround sound (poor student) so I can't comment on that, sorry.

In terms of multiplayer, I didn't get to play much before release due to low numbers but connectivity seems to be a real issue. I've attempted to race online for around an hour and a half today and out of four bars I'm getting 1 at best, with an internet speed of 37mbps DL and 8mbps UL. Because of that I've had cars literally flying around the track, people teleporting in front and behind of me and all manner of irritating drop-outs. There are a few moments where it'll all come together nicely and it's genuinely enjoyable and stable, but it's a rare occurrence. I hate to sound like a broken record but it's reminiscent of 2013.

TJP75

Jeepers, quite the damning review and to be fair, most other websites aren't scoring this release very high either:

67/100 - PC Gamer "Never before has Codemasters delivered something so closely resembling a free download from a community modding site".

5/10 - Eurogamer "It's a quantifiable step back for the series, saved only by the fact that what's there remains a satisfactory companion piece to this year's season if you're fortunate enough to have a decent steering wheel".

6/10 Videogamer "F1 2014 feels like something that needs to exist while Codemasters works on rebuilding the foundations for next-gen. There’s much less here than in previous entries, so it’s hard to justify picking it up to anyone outside of hardcore F1 fans".

7/10 Team VVV "here are new tracks, new cars, new liveries, new drivers, and new engine audio – this is definitely not F1 2012 or 2013 with DLC. F1 2014 signs off this generation of F1 games in great shape and is overall an impressive step forward that bodes well for future iterations of the franchise".

Seems you were on the money Niall :thumbsup:

aslird

Think of this game as the current Lotus F1 car - they are contractually obliged to make one, early on they knew it wasn't very good, so put all their effort into next years release (It will have a new engine and be next gen only).

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Had a blast before. Seems exactly like 2013 but with obvious new line up. Not found any control for enabling the 'boost' on the hybrid unit and obviously KERS has gone

Kirki

Same here. And even in bargain bin I might still give it a miss. Free and I might consider it... :D

Ono

I hate this sort of lazy update. Companies should realise goodwill and reputation are something that gamers consider. Releasing a rehashed game is not going to do them any good at all. I would much rather they skipped a year and spent more time on something better.

Kirki

If they offered this as a PC DLC for F1 2013 for say £5-10 many people might have been tempted and respected them for it. As it is it just made them look lazy and greedy. Shame really.

V F

I hate this sort of lazy update. Companies should realise goodwill and reputation are something that gamers consider. Releasing a rehashed game is not going to do them any good at all. I would much rather they skipped a year and spent more time on something better.
This is Codemasters though. Reminds me of the same company that went under, Rainbow Studios. Always pumping out rehashed buggy games.

welshy

oh yes, +1 for Colin McRae Rally.

But don't forget the Toca series, especially Toca3 :thumbsup:

TheNameIsJambo

If you're serious about racing then Project CARS will probably be your only option.

Once you've played/seen that, there's no going back to a game like Forza/GT. It's scope is mindblowing in comparison to any other racing simulator on the market.

It even has GPS track locations married up to the star-map at night - Mindblowing!