1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 2002

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by kirk grubb, Apr 5, 2002.

1. kirk grubb

kirk grubb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    F1 2002 comes out today,

Anybody seen any reviews for it ?

Been waiting for a good f1 game since 97 on ps!!

2. baccattack

baccattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    After having put in around an hour or so on the game I have to say I'm dissapointed. This game really is almost identical to last years version on the ps2.

Starting with the graphics if you ran the two games side by side I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, certainly when racing in the dry. What's more the xbox seems to retain the slightly iffy/variable frame rate of last years ps2 version. I've tried running the game at PAL50 and PAL60 but both modes seem to suffer the same. The game does however run full screen. The resolution is slighty better as well which makes it a bit easier to pick out the track ahead.

The sound is better news though, although this only matters if you're running it in dolby digital which I am. When you're in the cockpit view the sound of your V10 egine can be heard blasting out from behind you. The positional sound of other cars on the track has also been well implemented. The overall sound effects seem pretty acurate too, although I'm not sure they've quite captured the sound the engine makes when the traction control is cutting in.

Controls. These are perhaps the most dissapointing aspect of the game along with the flakey AI. You'd have though that having a pad with analog trigers and two good analog sticks would of been condusive to something smooth and responsive. Why is it then that they are hyper sensitive like last years on ps2. The steering is extremly sensitive and the throtle control is practically non exisitent, although with optional traction control this is slightly less of an issue. Why is it the only game that seems to have got this right is F355 Challenge on the DC. I just don't understand why developers find it so hard to implement a true analog throttle when you've got two nice triggers with travel proportional to that of real life pedals. Oh yes, and why no option to change the sensitivity of the steering- it's just to over sensitive. What's more the game doesn't list support for any wheels. Mind you playing last years ps2 version with my Logitech force feedback wheel wasn't any better. Also there are only two controller setups to choose from. Why the hell can't I specify my own as it means I can't map the up/down gear change to my preffered buttons.

The AI also suffers the same problem as last years version. Playing on hard I expect to get blown away by the rest of the field. Instead it's me blowing them away down the straights before they show the kind of speed in the corners that you'd expect them to maintain the whole way around the circuit. I just don't understand this rubber band type AI.

I also don't understand the continual inaccuracies on some of the tracks. Spa is one of the worst offenders with corners such as au rogue, the last left hander before the bust stop and the bus stop itself bearing little resemblance to their R/L counter parts. Once again it's possible to take the bus stop at speeds of over 100mph!

The game options seem identical to last years ps2 version. I understand though that there are now cards in the game which you can be unlocked and collected to make available extra game modes. This takes after the card systems used in other EA Sports titles.

Overall this game really isn't woth the purchase if like me you own last years version on ps2. I was really looking forward to something quite special. Being able to play along with the R/L 2002 season so early on was an enticing prospect. EA already had the basics in place from last years version, decent physics, ok graphics with a proper cockpit view, largley intelligent AI, realistic damage, interactive pit stops, the authentic race weekend experience and a good challange mode. All they had to do was give me a solid 60fps, smooth analog control, accurate circuits and oppenents which ran at a realistic pace. Unfortunately they have succeeded in none of the above. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what GP4 has in store

stephen

You can find other coments about the game over on the edge forums
    here

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I presume F1 2002 is an X-Box release?

Interesting that you comment that last years (PS2) physics were decent; I found it pretty bad, with cars seeming to spin on an axis far to the rear - in reality the cars spin around the centre of the front axle line. To me it just gave the game a fake arcade like feel.

For me nothing has yet come close to F1 '97 for enjoyment.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a preview of Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 4 (I think that's his name) in XBM..might be on their website (totalgames.net). It comes out in May/June. It's a Xbox version of a PC game which is suposed to be the definitive F1 game - never played it myself.

The screen shots look great. The scenary and cars look very detailed indeed. The buildings in Monaco look great.

Apparently they used gps to get the gradients and bends just right. Reading the marketing stuff it sounds like Geoff goes a bit over the top, ensuring trees etc are all in the right places etc.

I'm going to wait until that fella comes out and gets a review before I buy an F1 game.

Oh yes, XBM reviewed F1 2002 and said it was alright...I think it got a 7.

5. Jasoon

Jasoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well what a major disappointment this game is.
    I think the people who test the games need to be looking for another job if this is the best they can do.
    There are so many bugs in this game its unbelievable.

One example is this: -
    Has anyone managed to change their strategy before the pit stop?
    I can alter the fuel but then that’s it can do anything after that in the manual it tells you to press A to continue but nothing happens.

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Regardless of console, I always prefer rallying to F1, in real life it's the other way 'round.
    Is it me?
    I prefer bikes to both but never in games.

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Grand Prix 1 - 2 - 3 were, no are the defiinative GP games - Geoff Crammond is GOD!!!!! Forget EA - they dont habve a clue about F1, anyone who buys it mayas well go and burn the cash instead. wait for GP4 - you wont be disappointed.

Gary