1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F-Zero GX

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Sinzer, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Surprised there have been no threads about this yet, but I received this game last night. I thought it was going to be an average racer, I know I was disappointed by the N64 incarnation.

However, after playing it last night, my initial impression is that it absolutely rocks. The track design is immense, the handling is spot on and gameplay is great with story and grand prix mode (the only current letdown being you cannot play Grand Prix multiplayer). The graphics are simply unmatched by any racer out there.

This was the first racing game that I got those Wipeout thrills from, trying to crawl into the finish line at minimum health, that last speed boost nosing you ahead of number 1 to clinch the title. Cries of unfair and where the hell did that speed jump come from reigned throughout the evening. Yet, once a couple of laps done it was noticed you could control where you went and the shortcuts and routes through speed boosts just required a little skill.

Must admit that I got up a little early just to hit a couple of time trials with different cars this morning to see which was the best. First time I have done that in ages.

I am awaiting to see what the longetivity is (I have Soul Calibur 2 arriving today hopefully) as it has already got rock hard on novice mode and chapter 2 in story mode. However, if you are a hardcore race fan and loved Wipeout this looks like the new king :)

2. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Agreed Sinzer: mine arrived yesterday, and it's stomach-churningly fast, and eye-bleedingly beautiful. This game is FANTASTIC. In fact, why am I typing this message when I could be playing it? Imported cube owners or PAL cube owners with Freeloader have got to get this. If you don't have Freeloader, buy it now, as it's worth it just to play this game now, and the sublime Animal Crossing.

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like I should be paying a visit to Tronixweb ;).

4. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It is indeed fantastic.. now if only a certain forum member *cough*robfitzp*cough* would send me my component cables i can play it in loverly progrssive scan...

5. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Luc

Funds only cleared yesterday so hold your horses - will post at the weekend when I get home.

Clear your PM box.

Cheers
    Rob

6. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my copy through from DVD Box Office on Friday. Top game so far. Where did the death race option go though!

Done the first two cups on novice without many problems and the first one on standard. The 3rd cup is going to need more practice - ran out of ships through continual falling off.

I liked F-zero X, couldn't stand the origional or gba versions though.

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Even with rose tinted glasses the original was a defining moment in racing games. I played it to death!

I am still loving this game, me and my flatmate have spent more time on the time trials so far, trying to beat each other is so addictive. Fortunately, I just beat my mates time on his favourite track by 3 seconds last night, when I came home from the pub early. He is on holidays and I got a few text messages calling me a bar steward this morning at work! heheehe

The great thing is that even time trials have points related to them and unlockable features, the depth to this racer is immense. Trying to work out drift cornering now and when it is appropriate.

8. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received mine from DVD Box Office 2 days ago in fact is anyone missing there copy as they sent me 2 copies and only charged me for 1 LOL anyway its an awesome game i have just unlocked the Final Cup and those 5 tracks are insane i spend more time off the track than on it.

taking cube round to mates house tonight for some 4 player racing great Fun

P.S selling the Free copy of F Zero On E Bay so i can afford to pre order Mario Kart :)

9. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    wow.........just been playing it and I'm knackered now!!

Its the most exhilerating racing experience I've ever had. Perfect!!:clap: :clap:

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I find it very hard, just don't have the elite skillz for this one :) But its beautiful to look at.

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    So far I have got to Story 5, and have completed all the courses on Standard mode, have unlocked a few ghosts on the time trials too.

It has not really got too difficult so far, the learning curve is fairly good I feel, looking forward to trying expert properly.

I think my wasted years of playing Wipeout non stop as a student are paying off :) Using the right machine is the key.

Time Trials I prefer a lighter craft, I use a heavier craft for Grand Prix to survive the knocking around. Also, it is interesting to see that actual body shape makes a huge difference, there are so many factors to balance when choosing a ship for a Grand Prix :)

12. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I got it last week before I flew out on business and it's fantastic. Prog scan, Widescreen, 60 fps, awesome soundtrack - what more could you ask for from a game to push your home cinema setup?

It's silky smooth, loooks gorgeous, and plays like a dream. I strongly disliked the N64 version for spoiling (IMO) the legacy of the classic SNES version. It just wasn't fun for me.

This time thanks to AV, Nintendo have done a great job making a modern re-imagining of a classic title, and have also succeeded in making it even more fun. The whole AV/SEGA arcade feel keeps you wanting to continue chucking 50p's into your Gamecube in order to keep playing.*

I can't wait to get back home tomorrow and play it again!

*Do not try this at home.

13. Morton

Morton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a little confused by the reason for your dislike of F-Zero X and praise for GX.

You said that X spoiled the SNES version, yet GX shares more with X. Therefore the elements of X that spoiled SNES are still present in GX, but you like it.

Gee, did that make sense? It sounds like algebra!

14. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Who cares? :rolleyes: ;)
    I like the sound of this game i'll try it before i sell the cube.:)

15. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I too hated X, it just didn't feel right, plus the graphics were not brilliant. I dunno it just didn't have that sense of speed.

GX just seems different.

16. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    F-Zero X was slow and ugly. Both the SNES and NGC versions are fast and gorgeous (obviously far more so on the NGC).

I did not find F-Zero X fun at all. The other two versions always have me coming back for more, even when I get my ass kicked.

17. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slow must of been playing a totally different game to me and my mates we loved X, extremely fast only thing it was lacking was decent backgrounds which was a hardware limitation

18. Doll

Doll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do you have to have a US/JAP cube to get the prog scan or will it work with a component cable and a PAL cube with freeloader ?

Cheers.