Question F type connection from roof

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by DougAP, Jul 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DougAP

DougAP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I wonder if anyone can help with identifying what's going on with my rooftop aerial.

I've recently moved to a new house. Instead of a typical coax aerial connection/wire in the sitting room, there's only a wire with an F type connection. The kind satellite TV uses, like this:

https://linustechtips.com/main/uplo...pe_2.jpg.301af933d9a94f49bf64aa85d9d066ef.jpg

I've had a look at the outside of my house and the wire appears to run to the aerial. There's no satellite dish. I tried using it with my TV, making use of an f-type to coax adapter, but my TV couldn't find any channels.

If anyone has any idea why this connection is being used instead of normal coax, and what might be the problem with it, I'd love to hear! I've had to rely on Netflix etc since moving in...

2. lowmans100

lowmans100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Maybe the cable isn't for the TV aerial. how old is the house? Brother in-law has a new build and there are satellite cables in the room but no dish, the cables are coiled up in the loft ready for a dish to be installed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    F connectors are commonly used for the better quality terrestrial kit. A pure guess is that there is remotely powered mast head type amplifier in the system (look for a small box mounted close to the aerial, though it could be in the loft). The previous owner has probably taken the power supply away not realising it's useless without the amplifier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vision-V23...mr1&keywords=vision+masthead+amp+power+supply

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  4. DougAP

DougAP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    That was what I initially though. The house is old, 1950s.

That's really interesting, thanks. I'll have a proper look tomorrow. On a cursory look, the only box I could see was this, which looks to be a splitter (there's another f connector in the bedroom).

Attached Files:

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    It looks like a masthead amp with multiple outputs.

eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vision-V20...937&sr=8-2&keywords=vision+masthead+amplifier

Without power it will stop any signal from the aerial.