F. E. A. R. Anyone biting the bullet today

Digger

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The reviews have been good. Anyone getting this today?...Would be interested in people's opinions. Maybe I will be the first...

I picked this up today and I'm loving it....very very atmospheric.

There are times when it takes a few minutes before you actually engage an enemy, however you're never quite sure what's around the next corner...the game does a great job of creeping you out.

When the gun battles with the soliders do arrive they are visceral and brilliant....very intense with the enemy displaying some decent AI and strategies to beat you. It's a supremely enjoyable experience activiting the bullet time effect and taking out the enemy with debris flying everywhere, shelves and contents getting knocked around, empty ammunition clips falling on the floor and a haze of smoke enveloping the action.

The game looks and sounds fantastic with all the effects fully customisable. You can test everything and it will give you a breakdown of frame rates while it plays a test scene.

For reference, my system is a 3.2Ghz Intel with 1.5GB RAM, Radeon X850XT 256MB graphics card and a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty soundcard....I could max all the settings and use the maximum 1280x960 resolution and get a consistent 25-30 FPS. Turning down the filtering a bit resulted in FPS being 35% at 30-60 and 55% at 60 and above.

Gagging to play it but it was WoW instance night last night so had to make do with looking at the box instead :rolleyes:

Played the SP demo and it was great, hoping the full game and MP mode are as good :thumbsup:

Got an x2 3800 (running at 2 x 2.6GHz), GeForce 7800GT and 2GB RAM. Should run nice on full detail, well, I damn well hope it will!

Just need Creative to release 64 bit X-Fi drivers grr..

GZee...you're making me feel all warm and gooey inside...
grinning-smiley-048.gif

I think my PC should be okay...might have to turn something down though...
AMD 3500+, 1Gb DDR, 6800GT...might finally get around to installing my Audigy 2ZS Platinum having been using onboard...

Install the soundcard ! The effects are great and really add to the immersion factor. There a couple of moments early on that will make you jump by sound alone :devil:

Bought it today, and only played it for about an hour... but it hasn't really lived upto the hype for me. Its enjoyable enough but it seems just like another generic fps in traditional fps locations.

Maybe it will grow on me when I play it a bit more? :cool:

Digger said:
The reviews have been good. Anyone getting this today?...Would be interested in people's opinions. Maybe I will be the first...

Pre-ordered it on Amazon, so should have it in the next few days. Can't wait.

Demo didn't grab me, but good reviews are changing my mind. Eurogamer have it 9/10.

Juust been playing this. On interval 3/4 and this game is absolutely superb. First game to hold me for longer than 30 minutes since BF2.

Cheers
Branny

I had a quick game on it last night and like most of the other peeps thought it was brilliant
I'm going to install quake 4 tonight and have a play with that, though I might put it to the side until I've had enough of FEAR.

I got it. LOVE it, but my god does it eat hardware for breakfast. has a few sttuttuttery moments even on my hardware lol.

great game though:)

james judging by your specs a64 3200 and 1gb ram and i have sempron 2800 and 768 pc3200 i dont think ill be able to run it smoothly and fine so ill probly leave it lol

Bit judery on mine but settled downb after a while, as the levels load quickly i suspect that the levels are being steamed into memory so you don't have to wait ages like farcry. I had a serious problem with sound were i couldn't hear anyones voice, installed a driver on the CD under support folder and it fixed it. This seems to be ac97 deiver problem.

oxygenuk, its the graphics card that makes the biggest difference in fear to be honest. remember ive pratically got an x850xt pe. people are running 7800gtx's and getting slowdown lol

Its good but for me its not got the look or feel of farcry or hl2. A few creepy moments and the enemy is good but apart from that so far all I have done is engage the same enemy in different rooms. I hope they change the type of enemy soon or it will get quite repetitive. A few vehicles or helicopter bits wouldn't go amis either.

No slow down for me using 6600GT but if I put the VGA setting on high it tells me that it may be too much (or something like that). When I do auto detect it selects perofrmance as Medium and VGA as Custom (running Ath 64 3000, 1Gb Ram, 6600GT) so it is system intense.

Gonna try it on highest setting today tho!!!

Branny

Am running everything on top settings, but i think its caching everything to memory or something when theres a slow down as the hd is going crazy, or windows or mcafee are updating.

hmmm....i always turn off redundant services incl Anti-Virus and girlfriend when playing sys-hog games... :D

i got it, half life 2 is much better but its still good. Runs like **** on my pc with all the details up which has promted me to upgrade my comp within the next week. the slow-mo is good but its noting compared to that of "enter the matrix" where u can do all that ninja ****

have to agree this is a let down - spent two days on it an yep....same enemies....different rooms....yawn.....

Got FEAR yesterday and it is quite disapointing. This is a corridor shooter that just repeats what you have seen before in different ways. It reminds me of the interior parts of Halo - ie boring as hell with no imagination. The enmies are okay in the way they act, but there is no character or depth to this game. I suppose that the little girl is something different for a game, but this has been done to death in eastern cinema (and far better) which takes some of the impact away. It also runs reasonably slowly on my PC which, considering the lack of outdoor areas, is strange as HL2 runs silky smooth (6600GT 1GB 3hHz AMD64).
If you want a classy FPS get HL2 or even Max Payne 2 or No One Lives Forever 2. All are fun and all (especially MP2 and NOLF2) have much better stories. After the superb NOLF2 I was expecting a truly engrossing game. Instead, this is an indoors nonedescript shooter with abolutely no redeaming features whatsoever.

hmmm...well, having started this thread with a certain amount of optimism (still not bought a copy yet)...not so sure now....I wonder how they can spice up the FPS genre. Think i will install Thief III Deadly Shadows as thats been sitting in my Audigy 2 box looking lonely. Apparently there is a TRULY scary level in there somewhere.

PS If anyone is going to sell their copy of F.E.A.R....?

Thief 3 starts out fairly plain and I tended (still do) to get lost quite a bit due to the darkness. This is the only drawback to the game which I have re-discovered lately (on xbox). You are correct in that there is a really creepy level which I am looking forward to discovering.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom