F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The title of the sequel to FEAR has been announced as Project Origin.

The game will be released on the PC along with the 360 & PS3.

The sequel will continue the original game's spine-tingling supernatural suspense story of an escalating paranormal crisis that threatens to destroy a major American city. At the center of the calamity is the mysterious Alma, whose rage against those who wronged her triggered a chain of events that have spiraled completely out of control. Now that she has free reign, the consequences will be unimaginable.

That doesn't really give anything away...

Thats more info than I found when I searched for it. Only had the name then. If it's anything like the orginal though it's gonna be amazing. Wished they'd stop porting/releasing games for pc and consoles though. It used to be good in the old days to mock the console users on what they were missing out on. Now they seem to get basically every pc game and a **** load of exclusives that pc's don't get :thumbsdow

Now they seem to get basically every pc game and a **** load of exclusives that pc's don't get :thumbsdow
Do they get that many exclusives? I am struggling to justify holding onto my 360 at present as I know most of the best end up on the PC...Gears of War for example. Mass Effect is strongly rumoured to follow and I suspect Halo 3 will bound into the PC next year as well ;)

As for multi-platform - I think this just represents the reality of gaming these days...it costs a hell alot of money to make the quality of games we expect these days. Think back to how many textures were needed in the Doom/Quake days...compare that to now. Plus engines are more complex, AI has to be more sophisticated, Animations are hundreds of times more complex etc etc. It all adds time and money to development.

Accordingly game developers need to maximise their financial recovery - and multi-platform is the way to do this. And I have no problem with this provided the port is well implemented - thankfully mouse/keyboard support (one of the big thing for the PC IMHO) is easy to implement so it's not to much of a problem :thumbsup:

But we still have a few amazing PC only games to be proud of: S.T.A.L.K.E.R and World Of Warcraft for example. As the tech in the current gen of consoles titles and PCs diverge the list will only get longer as well.

Thats more info than I found when I searched for it. Only had the name then. If it's anything like the orginal though it's gonna be amazing. Wished they'd stop porting/releasing games for pc and consoles though. It used to be good in the old days to mock the console users on what they were missing out on. Now they seem to get basically every pc game and a **** load of exclusives that pc's don't get :thumbsdow

This is true but the consoles graphics cant keep up with the pcs so you can still keep on smiling. Also we pay less for our games and we get free mods and extra content which console owners have to pay for. :)

As for the console exclusives this was always the case. I have always had a console as well as a pc just for this reason. :)

But we still have a few amazing PC only games to be proud of: S.T.A.L.K.E.R and World Of Warcraft for example. As the tech in the current gen of consoles titles and PCs diverge the list will only get longer as well.

And with PC exclusives like Crysis, Spore, Hellgate and The Witcher on the horizon, there's plenty for us PC gamers to dig our teeth into.

There's a nice preview over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Also, if you scroll down there is a trailer for the game - I'm not sure whether it's old but I'd certainly not seen it before!

Another good preview is up on CVG.

So, variety of location, of combat, of terror and of gun-holding gentlemen. Project Origin may not have the FEAR name, but we're betting this is the game to truly live up to its promise.

Not sure I'd want to go back to it after the crap that was Perseus Mandate :(

That's a little unfair - Perseus Mandate was made by an entirely different company and was merely cashing in on the F.E.A.R brand. Project Origin is made by the samepeople who made the original F.E.A.R and continues where that game left off.

IGN have an interview up with one of the lead designers working on the game.

Also, check out a superb new trailer for the game over at VE3D. It certainly whets the appetite. :thumbsup:

The community site for Project Origin is now up, along with the latest trailer!

VE3D have two new gameplay vids up. The Assassin's one is especially cool - looks like it'll be quite demanding on the hardware front.

CVG have a couple of more videos. The first just shows a few locations (I think they are trying to say there will be alternative environments) and the second shows some in-game footage fighting against the Assasin creatures - having not played the game before I have to say these enemies look very cool (disappearing mid battle, sparking up when hit etc!)

VE3D have some more trailers, one environment and powered armour trailer. However I can only get half way through on the powered armour one for some reason.

Quite an interesting blog entry on IGN from one of the devs on its depiction of blood and how they go about doing it. I really never realised they went into that much detail. There's a video showing an example in all its gory detail too!

One of the biggest concerns the Project Origin team had with FX was the blood sprays. They were holdovers from the first game, and no one was particularly happy with them anymore. While the implementation of blood from the first game succeeded in making the impacts visible at long distances, up close it looked sort of like spurts of red spray paint. In a game with so many close-quarters (and often slow-motion, too) shootouts, it's important for the combat feedback FX to look as good as possible when viewed up close. I felt we could achieve both, making the blood visible from far away, while still feeling meaty and satisfying at closer range. More like the AI were filled with juicy red fluid and not compressed paint, anyway.

Damn! I have that from xmas and yet to install it. The first one was great fun though :smashin:

RPS have some new videos (well Gamestrailers does) of the game. The second one has some pretty impressive particle effects although the blood splatter still looks excessive in my eyes. Looks like you'll need a powerful rig to run this one.

The E3 trailer for this is over at VE3D. It does look good but I'm wondering what kind of rig you'd need to play this at decent frame rates.

This game has now been delayed until "the first quarter 2009". Can't say I'm surprised - things had gone very quiet on the Project Origin front.

Indeed, it's not surprising but a shame nonetheless. However, as long as they spend that time making it better I think it's time well spent.

According to IGN (who have a dev video), Warner Bros have bought the rights to use the FEAR name which means this game will now be called F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin.

According to IGN (who have a dev video), Warner Bros have bought the rights to use the FEAR name which means this game will now be called F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin.
Interesting - I thought the original publisher was planning to release F.E.A.R 2 themselves - clearly they decided not to bother. Good move IMHO - a single franchise moving in two different directions wouldn't really work.

I think Sierra were planning on making their own sequel but then got bought by Activision and shelved a lot of the titles on the drawing board!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom