1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"F" Coaxial Cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Ultima_Squall, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Ultima_Squall

Ultima_Squall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased an adapter with a male 3.5mm miniplug on one end and a female "F" coaxial on the other end. I plan to plug the male end in the digital out of a soundblaster audigy 2 zs and use a coaxial cable to connect the female end to a logitech speakers' digital coaxial input. The problem is I really don't know what the "F" coaxial means. Does it work with standard coaxial cables or do I need "F" coaxial cables? Also, I'm not sure if my speakers digital coaxial input will accept the "F" coaxial. Any help will be appreciated. Tx

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I thought F coaxial connectors where the connectors for Sky boxes. My SB card hasn't got an F-type connector. the coax is the same its hjust the connectors that differs

3. Ultima_Squall

Ultima_Squall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if the connectors are not the same, does that mean i can't use standard coax cables? What's the difference between the 'F' coax plug and the standard coax plug anyways?

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    coaxial input is usually just a phono plug (or as the Bush lovers call 'em RCA plugs) - like left/right/video. An f-type usually has the outer sheath grounded to the outside of the connector while the inner cable protrudes up into the central rising inside the connector like an ariel connector. completely different. My Sb card has a 3.5mm socket so you've got that end right :) but you need it to a phono connector (coaxial) or a TOS-link (optical). look on the back of your amp or in the destruction manual to check. I didn't think you could get coaxial digital anymore (my amp has it and I use it for my Laser Disc player). You may need a TOS-Link

keene electronics (www.keene.co.uk) have ....

OPTICAL WITH UNIVERSAL CONNECTION CABLE (1.2M)

Optical audio cable with universal connections. Unique, flip over end connections allow connection from either TOSlink or 3.5mm optical to either TOSlink or 3.5mm optical.

[KLDOU] £9.99 (£8.50 ex VAT)

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There is no standard coax plug - in fact there is a wealth of different plugs (connectors) for coaxial cables.
    There are those that are more common, depending on the type of application. Exceptions do exists though.
    As well, technically speaking, analog interconnects are also made of coaxial cables, but not to be confused with e.g. coaxial cables for RF (antenna).

Analog audio: RCA (phono), usually white (L) and red (R)
    Digital audio (coax): RCA (phono), usually orange
    Antenna/SAT (new): F connector, usually no cover

That's how a F-connector looks like: http://www.marine-electronics.net/techarticle/coax/f-con.htm

Please check your SB's manual first what type of output and connector it supports. As graham.myers already mentioned you may actually need a optical cable (TOSlink).

6. Ultima_Squall

Ultima_Squall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tx for the info guys. I already thought about toslink, but creative says only the platinum version of the cards support optical :( Well I did some more research and the only thing i needed was a 3.5mm 1/8 inch mono plug at one end and the regular rca (red/white) at the other end. But my speaker only has 1 digital coaxial plug for rca. So which color should i put, red or white?

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    neither! you need a 3.5mm to a single RCA not dual

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    At your own risk (and given the mini jack is connected to the digital out): try it out. One of the RCA connectors should carry the digital stream, the other one should remain silent. Remember to activate the digital output in the SW.

Else try the following site for more help: http://dmzweb3.europe.creative.com

Search by product or article number SID5035.

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    knowledge sessions have expired

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    @graham.myers, thanks. I have edited my post.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I can't stand Mr Bush, but I like to give credit where it's due, and since the "RCA jack" or phono plug was invented by the RCA company, it's only fair to credit them. The term "RCA jack" more widely used outside of the UK.