F/C/S speakers for Denon 4306 + BK XLS200 sub - MA Radius HD?

ucbmckee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been a lurker for awhile, and last year purchased a BK XLS200 based on some recommendations here (it's been a great unit). It's now time to update the rest of my speakers and it looks like there is a lot of love for the Monitor Audio Radius HD line. Would this be a good pairing for a Denon AVR 4306 receiver and my existing sub? I've set aside about £1000 and I'm wondering if the rest of my setup might overpower the Radius units? Although, what with living in a flat, it's rare that I get to turn the volume up above polite levels. I've seen numerous recommendations for the R270, R225, and R90 combination and I'm mostly interested in home theatre performance.

Off the forums, I've also heard some people recommend the Klipsch RB-81 system, although it sounds like it might be a bit bassy?

Oh, and my wife doesn't care what they look like. =)

Thanks!

You may have read this post before, but if it helps, I recently demoed the Monitor Audio R90HD and R270HD packages, albeit with a different sub, also the Kef 3005 and B&W MT30. I used to own the Kef 5005.2. The MA 270HD setup blew them all out of the water. Better surround soundfield, better depth, impact and detail and much better with music. The set up I went for is detailed in my signature below. Denon receivers do tend to partner very well with MA as the warm Denon sound works well with the bright sounding Monitors. Being that the 4306 is a highly specified, powerful receiver, it will only help to get the best out of them as they will sound better with more amplification. The BK sub you mentioned is highly thought of on these forums although I have not heard it myself. As previously pointed out in other threads though, if the Mrs doesnt mind, you may want to consider the R180s as rears, purely for the lower crossover frequency. That set up should then sound fantastic. By the way, I ordered everything on the phone from from Peter Tyson, who offered me a great price (much better than their web prices) and a great service. PS I haven't heard the Klipsch set up.

Thank you for the advice! Shopping for av/hifi gear gets a bit intimidating, if you don't track the market very actively and consistently, so it's immeasurably helpful to hear from those with first hand knowledge.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the general percentage range of the discount versus the web price? I'm absolutely rubbish at bargaining and typically just look for the lowest advertised price, but I've seen a few posts here from people mentioning Peter Tyson.

Thanks,
Aaron

You may have read this post before, but if it helps, I recently demoed the Monitor Audio R90HD and R270HD packages, albeit with a different sub, also the Kef 3005 and B&W MT30. I used to own the Kef 5005.2. The MA 270HD setup blew them all out of the water. Better surround soundfield, better depth, impact and detail and much better with music. The set up I went for is detailed in my signature below. Denon receivers do tend to partner very well with MA as the warm Denon sound works well with the bright sounding Monitors. Being that the 4306 is a highly specified, powerful receiver, it will only help to get the best out of them as they will sound better with more amplification. The BK sub you mentioned is highly thought of on these forums although I have not heard it myself. As previously pointed out in other threads though, if the Mrs doesnt mind, you may want to consider the R180s as rears, purely for the lower crossover frequency. That set up should then sound fantastic. By the way, I ordered everything on the phone from from Peter Tyson, who offered me a great price (much better than their web prices) and a great service. PS I haven't heard the Klipsch set up.

I'll dig out my invoice tonight and let you know exactly what I paid so you can compare current on line prices.

Hi mate. A pair of R270HDs, an R225HD and a pair of R90HDs came in at £960. Not sure how much extra the 180s will be over the 90s but it should still be in the region of your budget.

Last edited:
No problem. Let me know what you go for and what you think of them.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the general percentage range of the discount versus the web price? I'm absolutely rubbish at bargaining and typically just look for the lowest advertised price,

If you ring us and mention the forums you will usually get a discount.

Hey welshtommo, just wanted to thank you again for the recommendation. I took your advice and picked up the Radius HD kit, with the R270s, an R225, and two R180s, for a total of around £1k from Peter Tyson. I didn't scour the net too hard, but that ended up being noticeably better than any advertised price I could find. Anyway, the speakers sound and look great. They feel very well built, have a remarkable depth and clarity to them (especially considering the size), and overall seem to complement the room and my existing setup pretty well. I'm still adjusting a few settings and breaking them in, but the recommendation certainly seems sound. =)

Nice one. Glad you like them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom