f.a.o fwan (sony fq problems)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by alan, Jan 30, 2002.

1. alan

alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Fwan.
    I have a 32fq75 and was interested to read of the problems that people are having with this set....I think I am having a similar problem.
    I am having light coloured bands scrolling from side to side on my set but only on vcr playback through scart 2 (the non rgb one).
    My digibox is looped through the dvd player and sent to scart 1.
    I have had this problem since I bought the set (Sept 2000) but put it down to my old tosh video being on its way out....I have recently bought a new video and upgraded the scart leads but the problem is still there.I was just about to order some ferrite rings from Maplins as Ive been told this can clean up rf interference which Is what a mate tell me I was suffering from.
    Also,and I'm not sure this is part of the problem ,ive noticed on vcr playback the picture will go into black and white and display a herring bone interference pattern untill I press the tv button on the digibox remote control....I think pressing tv button switches the video output from the digibox from rgb to composite but I'm at a loss as to why it would cause interference.
    In your opinion do you think my set suffers from the scrolling bar problem....like I say my symptons are slightly different to those you and others have described...I'd just like a second opinion before I join the cause and start doing my whinging(from Sony's point of view) customer bit.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give.
    Alan.

2. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alan

The problem which many of us are having is a faint (lighter than the actual picture) vertical bar/band (about 3-4 inch wide) sweeping across the screen from left to right continuously - sort of light house light effect except it's a bar/band. Most noticeble on picture with a dark or static background, like football matches with the green field. On fast moving pictures, you will not be able to pick it out.

On VHS playback, the speed of the scrolling increases. But I don't notice it on DVD playback. At first, like you I thought that it was one of the equipment that is connected to the telly was the cause but the problem is still there with everything disconnected. By the way, Maplins have discontinued the ferrite rings - tried to get some a couple months back. In any case, I don't think these will help if it is something inside that causes the interference.

It seems that this problem varies from set to set according to the service engineer who came to check mine. Some only get this on DVD playback - even when the "DVD" logo screen splash is displayed and it 's so bad you cannot even watch DVD on some sets. Other than this band, everything else picture wise, is okay on mine and I have not experienced the Black & white and herring pattern displays on mine.

You mentioned about coloured band - are they fairly solid coloured band with no relation to the that part of the picture on screen ? The bars on mine are just a fainter colour of that part of the picture as it scrolls or sweeps across the screen.

Have tried plugging the VHS to another AV socket without the digibox connected ?? By process of elimation, you should able to have an idea which piece of equipment is causing the problem if it is not the tv.

The last resort is get an engineer to check it out. If you have bought yours from a reputable retailers like John Lewis, you should still able to get someone to take a look. See other thread under What rights Sony owners have ? ........

Sorry I can't be more precise. But as you see in the letter from SOny, they are acknowleging the problem now. Definitely, the service engineer that came to visit me confirmed that many sets have this scrolling bar problem - but varies from set to set.

Regards

fwan

3. alan

alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fwan, thanks for the quick reply...

I probably misused the word coloured there....the effect I'm getting is as if the sun was shining through a gap in the curtains and working its way across the screen...but at that rate our day would be about 3 or 4 seconds long!

Its very noticeable on dark pictures...I watch a lot of st voyager tapes which are pretty gloomy and its just about watchable,I'm now pretty sure this is the same problem you are having.

I will take your advice and unplug the digibox and try and swap the scarts but I'm pretty sure I will be getting an engineer out to have a gander.

I am so glad I bought from John Lewis....I nearly bought from the company North of the Border that Ive read complaints about...would have been right up the creek trying to get any help from them...so ive read!
    Thanks for your time fwan I hope this is resolved for everyone soon.

4. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alan

From your second post, I am sure your set is having the infamous scrolling bar problem from the description of the symptom you have given. The other thing you can try out is to plug in another tv (if you have another set available) with the same set-up (same equipment connected) to see if this symptom shows up. This will confirm it the FQ that is generating the bar/band.

Like most of us, we always assumed that this was caused by some equipment connected to the TV at first, never thought it was telly because you don't expect a new set would give such a obvious fault.

I suggest you to get JL to check yr set out even though it can't be fixed but just to record the fault.

Also you should join our S.O.N.Y. Club by writing to SonyUK's MD or emailing them to lodge your complaint. This is to make them aware of the problem with the FQ set. Until recent, SUK had been fobbing everyone reporting this complaint.

Lets wait and see how Sony is going to sort this matter.

fwan

5. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

i too had problems with my fq set. these were a bar scrolling accross the screen just like you described, teletext was blurred on the left of the screen, the picture kept flickering trying to squeeze itself toward the middle of the screen, in av mode there were lines waving around all over the place. This was my 3rd sony set within 4 months. Currys kept replacing it as the first two sets had green patches on the screen. They then told me to try a different make so i went to panasonic. This now has a fault of a vertical bar which makes watching football or other fast panning programmes a pain to watch. they are now giving me a toshiba rear projection tv. i have spoke to quite a few dealers and they all say that sony are having lots of problems at the moment. just thought id let you know you are not alone.

cheers matey

6. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Shaun

Thanks for letting us know. Glad I am not alone and not being a perfectionist.

Buying a tv is for enjoyment and pleasure but buying a windscreen these days is just not doing providing these, except stress and hassles. Don't need all these when you spend some hard earned dosh !!

Hope you can now just sit down and enjoy.!

Cheers

fwan

7. alan

alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fwan
    I finally got round to doing what you suggested...which I was loath to do (cables all over the place and shouting "look at all that dust ...get some swiffer cloths quick"

I think I tried all possible combinations of connections and low and behold the sodding bars are still there....i'm getting bars on all inputs from the vcr and bars on the dvd when used on av2.

Dug out a 14 inch portable and tried that.....and no bars!!

Price of 32fq75..... £1249
    Price of portable....won in the works Christmas raffle!

I'm now going to start harrasing sony...not only for the duff telly but the fact I had to get all dusty and sweaty just to find out my Minato 14inch has in fact got a better picture.
    :confused: :mad:

8. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alan

Sorry to learn the diagnosis is postive. So you did get an extra/ bonus feature on your FQ at no extra cost !!! At least you know the "The truth is IN there" ! Unfortunately the prognosis is poor, from the official response from Sony.

As I have suggested, please do report to JL for this fault so they and their agent engineer are aware of the scale of the problem.

Don't forget to write or email Sony for all the stress the FQ has given you and yr family. Also email to magazines. You will find all the addresses on the other thread.

Please let us know you get on.

regards

fwan

9. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you happy with Sony ?????

Bluestu on another thread has kicked off complaints to BCC's Watchdog after he had three faulty Sony sets.

Come guys, let go for it these few days....i.e. email BCC's Watchdog.

We have given SONY long enough and they have tested our patient to our limit with their denials and also wasting our time (waiting for engineers who can do nothing, dealing with retailers, waiting for delivery, phoning their Customer Service which annoys anyone who bothers to ring up etc)

Please send an email asap to express your feelings. Together we should move things forward and get Sony to wake up. Thanks !

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I e-mailed watchdog today.

Come on everybody lets send as many complaints to watchdog as possible.

Power to the people!!!

11. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for joining in, Paul !

Can we use the main thread on Sony

Sony TV Scrolling Bar Problem - Official Response from SOny UK at last !!!

instead of spreading the post on the same issue on several threads, please

Thanks