1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F.A.O: ArcamTechnical. Digital Output of CD players

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ihan, Jul 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

Is the digital output of different Arcam cd players the same quality? For instance, would the digital output of the CD23 sound any different to the digital output of the CD33 or 36?

I am exploring the option of using a B&W825 subwoofer for music.

I have a CD23 & AV8 connected via analogue interconnects. In order to enable the subwoofer output of the AV8, I have to switch 'stereo direct' off. The sound quality deteriorates slightly (but noticeably); the treble becomes a bit harsher. This is presumably due to the limitations of the ADC (analogue to digital converter) in the AV8.

The sound quality is almost as good as the analogue connection if I connect the CD23 to the AV8 using the coaxial digital output and run the AV8 in 'digital stereo' mode; the subwoofer output is then enabled.

Now that I have decided the best way to go is a digital connection, is there any point in upgrading the CD23, or put another way, do all digital outputs sound the same? BTW, I compared the digital output of my DV29 to the CD23, and could hear no difference. Is the DAC in the AV8 the limiting factor?

Regards,
    Ian

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    The DAC onboard the AV8 is the limiting factor ,but that's not to there ther is much difference between the digital outputs on both players.

Why have you resigned youself to using an inferior way of running the AV8 for music just to make way for a subwoofer which does not accomodate the ability to run off high level and low level conenctions siumtaneously? Surely something along the lines of the REL Stadium or Stentor would be more practical and help you get the best out of your system, particularly for music.

3. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Chris,

Are you saying that there is a difference in digital outputs (your reply isn't very clear)?

The B&W sub is currently 'on loan', and I'm not entirely certain I'll be sticking with it - on the +ve side it does match my 804S fronts! I may just buy a REL one; thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,
    Ian

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    There will not be much difference in the digital outputs from either player, but the analogue outputs from both players are superior for cd playback than using the dacs inside the AV8.