EZCast M7 WiFi music streamer setup

dogfonos

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Bit of a specific question but has anyone experience of using the EZCast M7 to stream music stored on a PC? I've wasted best part of this afternoon trying to get the thing working then desperately checking out YouTube instructional videos that invariably gloss over the part I'm struggling with.

I could be wrong but it appears the device isn't connecting to my wireless router (how would I know if it had?). The supplied manual makes it sound so easy - just provide power to the device, download the appropriate software onto PC and everything else is taken care of - yeh, right!

The downloaded software from the EZCast website appears to offer absolutely no functionality whatsoever (in stark contrast to all those instructional YouTube videos) - could this be because the device isn't connecting to my WiFi network? Do I need to do something else to get the thing to connect? Any help gratefully appreciated.

They do have a forum for this device EZCast Forum - Index page

Have you tried rebooting your router and then connecting? If it still refuses to connect then I would send it back and get a Chromecast Audio as these are a breeze to setup and very reliable.

They do have a forum for this device EZCast Forum - Index page

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've trawled through that forum and found nothing that helps. The demo videos are, frankly, woeful and it appears that forum questions are answered by just one person so can take a couple of days to receive a reply. All Youtube videos I've unearthed start after the point at which I'm having problems!

Have you tried rebooting your router and then connecting?

I hadn't but I have now. Unfortunately, it made no difference. I had reset the EZCast box several times but again, to no avail. Me thinks I've received a dud but the trouble with these type of products is that, for me, it's too easy to return an item saying it's faulty when it could be my own lack of knowledge preventing me from setting it up correctly.

send it back and get a Chromecast Audio as these are a breeze to setup and very reliable

Indeed. Just me being tight, again. £11 vs. £25 - 30. Shame I wasn't aware of the Chromecast Audio when it sold for £14 a couple of months back. May have to 'bite the bullet'.

Dogfonos

Just to be clear:
Are you able to connect to the EZCast using its own software on the PC and the issue is that you can actually see your WiFi's SSID with this software, but for some reason selecting it to configure the EZCast to connect to is not working?
Or, are you not able to even get the software to connect to the EZCast in order to configure it?

John

Thanks for your help.

are you not able to even get the software to connect to the EZCast in order to configure it?

That appears to be my situation although there has been no confirmation (e.g. no on-screen message to say 'unable to connect' etc - which would have been helpful) so I don't really know what a successful connection looks like.

You refer to the WiFi's SSID. I've seen demonstration videos of the EZCast box where the EZCast software/app displays the SSID on the device's screen, among other things. I guess it has to connect to be able to display that. I only get an EZCast 'happy casting' screen that appears to have two soft-key choices: one for a wired connection (I think) and one for a wireless connection (or so it seems). When I select the wireless connection, an on-screen icon suggests it's attempting to connect wirelessly (at least, that's how I interpret the graphics) but it hasn't ever connected.

As I type this, I've just noticed larkone's post about the reduced price Chromecast Audio at Curry's (many thanks). If I can't get this EZCast working by tomorrow, it's going back for a refund and I'll buy the Chromecast Audio.

I wonder if the reason for this problem is because you are not using a WiFi device with the software. You did say you are using a PC rather than laptop. Also, if you can use the EZCast software on a wireless device, try connecting it to the EZCast's own SSID before running the software (presumably you can identify it with 'EZCast' somewhere in its name).

Incidentally, I reckon its worth getting the CCA at that price, regardless!

Last edited:
I have no wireless devices other than the wireless cable router to which the desktop PC (running Windows 7) is physically connected. I wonder if I'll experience the same issue with the Chromecast Audio?

It's possible, as most people (as I did) would probably set up the CCA on a smartphone or iPad/tablet and those using a computer are likely using a laptop so WiFi. Good question, will test it out when I've got the time, hopefully this evening.

Thanks Cebolla, would appreciate it.

Sorry for the delay in testing this out, been away for the weekend.

It's as you suspected, the Google Chromecast devices can't be first setup with the provided app if the computer is using a wired ethernet network connection, even though network itself has WiFi. However, unlike the EZCast setup software, the Google Chromecast setup application does at least warn you that you need a WiFi connection on the computer and stops you from going any further.

So, it looks like you're going to have the same problem with the CCA as with the EZCast. Can't you just borrow a wireless device that can run the setup app?

Thanks for checking that out, Cebolla, most helpful.

Can't you just borrow a wireless device that can run the setup app?

Yes, I could do and may try that out first. I'm also tempted by the sub £20, 7" Android 4.4 tablets from discount Chinese sellers. Such a tablet could also double as a remote control in the future - if it lasts long enough - as I wouldn't use it for much else. Might be handy to have one around.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom