EyeTV on iphone

captainH

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick note for EyeTV users. New iphone app is out and is fantastic.

It allows you to view/edit schedules, view programme guide, watch live TV (only over wifi) and watch your recordings (over wifi or 3G).

A couple of improvements could be made to schedule editing etc. But for the initial release it is extremely impressive and well worth 2.99.

Yep love this and a bargain at £2.99 if you ask me.

Couple of issues - I had to reboot the iMac as for some reason the Firewall on Snow Leopard as not allowing me to connect but fine now

And try as I may I can't get remote access when Im not on my home network. My o2 Thompson router is coming up as incompatible (although back to Mac works) so I have tried to set up port forwarding as advised (I'm a bit of a novice at ports) but cant get this aspect of it working.
Don't really want to have to buy a 3rd party router as I'm sure it must me something I'm doing (any help appreciated) :lease:

Anyway don't let this put you off, anyone with a Mac that uses Elegato EyeTV - this is a no brainer :thumbsup:

Couple of issues - I had to reboot the iMac as for some reason the Firewall on Snow Leopard as not allowing me to connect but fine now

And try as I may I can't get remote access when Im not on my home network. My o2 Thompson router is coming up as incompatible (although back to Mac works) so I have tried to set up port forwarding as advised (I'm a bit of a novice at ports) but cant get this aspect of it working.
Don't really want to have to buy a 3rd party router as I'm sure it must me something I'm doing (any help appreciated) :lease:

Anyway don't let this put you off, anyone with a Mac that uses Elegato EyeTV - this is a no brainer :thumbsup:

downloaded it and it works very well.:thumbsup:

Love the App - very gool to stream Live TV remotely while I'm elsewhere (on wi-fi though)

I managed to get the remote part working with the O2 Thompson router (wireless box 2). I just set up an 'EyeTV' game/application and forwarded port 2170 to my Mac IP Address. If I can help out at all, let me know in this thread.

My biggest problem now is that EyeTV 3.2 will not let my Mac sleep. That is a big issue for me. I'm working in why and will get in touch with Elgato if I can;t fixit. Seems that others are having the problem too.

Is the problem that it prevent the auto sleep set in Power Mgmt? My Mac Mini sleeps okay manually but I switched off the auto sleep as I thought it defeated the object of the iphone app if I am out and about. Wonder how power hungry the Mini is if it is on all the time.....

Love the App - very gool to stream Live TV remotely while I'm elsewhere (on wi-fi though)

I managed to get the remote part working with the O2 Thompson router (wireless box 2). I just set up an 'EyeTV' game/application and forwarded port 2170 to my Mac IP Address. If I can help out at all, let me know in this thread.

Very frustrated :mad: I've tried all afternoon to do just that - the only difference is I am using the original o2 Thompson box version 1 (blue box) - I created an app called Eye TV told it to use port 2071 and then give it my Macs IP address that I have Eye TV on. Have I done something wrong?

Any help appreciated

Strange you are having these problems. I am using the O2 wireless box 3 (which is a Thomson) with upnp enabled and everything worked fine straight away. Does your box have upnp enabled?

Strange you are having these problems. I am using the O2 wireless box 3 (which is a Thomson) with upnp enabled and everything worked fine straight away. Does your box have upnp enabled?

Yep all enabled and Back To My Mac works fine :confused::(

Stupid question but I assume the account details in the iphone setup pane of the mac eyetv preferences are correct?

Also might be worth testing with the Mac's firewall off in case that is preventing the external connection.

Very frustrated :mad: I've tried all afternoon to do just that - the only difference is I am using the original o2 Thompson box version 1 (blue box) - I created an app called Eye TV told it to use port 2071 and then give it my Macs IP address that I have Eye TV on. Have I done something wrong?

Any help appreciated

Yep, thats all I did. upnp was switched on in my router but I still needed to port forward.

And is that a Type you've made? The port number is 2170. Does your mac have a static IP? Mine does as I port forward other things to it.

Good shout to check your firewall - I read of some people having issues with that on the Elgato support forum.

Stupid question but I assume the account details in the iphone setup pane of the mac eyetv preferences are correct?

Also might be worth testing with the Mac's firewall off in case that is preventing the external connection.

Turned all firewalls off and tested and yep account details are fine but still nothing

Yep, thats all I did. upnp was switched on in my router but I still needed to port forward.

And is that a Type you've made? The port number is 2170. Does your mac have a static IP? Mine does as I port forward other things to it.

Good shout to check your firewall - I read of some people having issues with that on the Elgato support forum.

Yep sorry meant 2170, I have upnp enabled and in the o2 router page the Imac shows as static address.

This is what I have in the manual set up I made

Protocol Port Range Translate To ... Trigger Protocol Trigger Port

TCP 2170 - 2170 2170 - 2170 - -

UDP 2170 - 2170 2170 - 2170 - -

Is that right?

Yep sorry meant 2170, I have upnp enabled and in the o2 router page the Imac shows as static address.

Is that right?

It looks okay to me. I didn't actually enter anything under 'Translate to' or 'Trigger port' - but I can't see it hurting.

If you go to a web browser and type mac IP address:2170/eyetv you should get some sort of webpage (mine just says there are no iPhone compatible recordings). Actually, not sure if this proves anything!

Turned all firewalls off and tested and yep account details are fine but still nothing

Is that right?

That setup certainly looks okay for the port forwarding. I have set this up for some internet cameras in that manner and it works fine. In fact I found if I used Trigger protocol and port then it would not work so I had to leave them blank.

By the way, do you have 2 entries on the main iphone EyeTv screen? I have one that is detected with bonjour and the second I set up with the edit button using the login details for internet access.

OK thanks to you guys I got it sorted :clap:

Feel a bit silly now but I've never done port forwarding before, it looks like I've got loads of duplicate devices showing in my attached network devices in the router page, there are 3 entries alone for my iMac and i'd been selecting the wrong one without realising!

Have tested it over 3g and it now works - recorded programs only not live which is a shame. Picture quality was a bit blocky but it was alot of motion (footy)

The wifi element for live is excellent quality, I will be out tomorrow on a different wi-fi network so that will be good to test.

Not sure why the o2 router has got so many duplicates and old items in there? Can I assume it's OK to delete to prevent anything like this again and if I delete a device I might still be using by accident it will just show again once I attach it again? And is it best to manually select everything to static?

Thanks again for helping me and now a big thumbs up for version 1 of this app - lets hope some minor tweaks will make it even better :thumbsup:

Excellent. Glad you got it sorted.

Should be no problem to delete old devices if they are not allocated to any port forwards. They will just show up again when you connect.

I let most of my devices use DNS but those that need port forwarding I assign a static IP outside the DNS range.

The O2 router software really is awful and unintuitive IMO though. You have to jump through hoops to get simple setups working.

Thanks Captain!

I was almost going to go out a buy a 3rd party router tomorrow just to get this working :suicide:

Glad you got it working Mr X!

I was surprised at how good the quality of liveTV was when I was watching at My parents house over their wi-fi.

As for the O2 router, Yes, I deleted a few old devices yesterday in a clean up. I also tend to use static for the devices I port forward to. Although with the Wireless box II it seems you can set devices to recieve the same IP address every time from DHCP.

I like my O2 box. I can see how the menu system isn't perfect, but the router allows me to adjust arp settings to static - which means I can Wake over Internet. Very handy for saving on energy bills!!

Thanks Jowl.

Well pleased t o report that was out in central London and connected to my recordings via 3G and then used free BT Wi-fi and as you say live TV is fantastic.

I'm not sure whats happening with sleep on my mac at the mo. It seems to be on all the time, so will have a look at that at the weekend. Waking over the net for EyeTV would be very good. I'm running Snow Leopard and I seem to remember an ability to do that now?

My Mac is a bit flakey on sleeping at the moment. I seem to have got it working when EyeTV powers on the machine, performs a scheduled recording then it sleeps.

But there's times If I've watched a recording...or certainly been in the prefs, that it doesn't seem to sleep. I'm still troubleshooting to find when it will and when it won't. There's a thread in the Elgato forums where we are discussing it.

For Wake over Lan/Internet I use Sleepover for iPhone. over LAN is easy. Over Internet requires you telnet into your router and change some settings manually. But the results are very handy! Not all routers work though!

I seem to be having problems in getting this working and wonder if there is an issue with Snow Leopard compatibility.

I have tried two different routers, a Linksys WRT54G2 and a Dlink DIR-655, and have tried port forwarding to 2170 on both and UPnP is enabled. I've uninstalled and then reinstalled EyeTV and EyeConnect as well as the application on my iPhone. I'm running the latest EyeTV build (5613) but still no joy. Bonjour is working fine too (EyeTV shows up in Bonjour under bookmarks is Safari) as is Back to My Mac.

The only thing that actually allows it to work is to disable Snow Leopard's firewall. The firewall message is as follows:

04/10/2009 12:40:21 Firewall[93] Deny EyeConnect connecting from 192.168.1.102:49185 to port 2170 proto=6
04/10/2009 12:40:21 Firewall[93] Deny EyeConnect connecting from 192.168.1.102:49184 to port 2170 proto=6
04/10/2009 12:40:21 Firewall[93] Deny EyeConnect connecting from 192.168.1.102:49183 to port 2170 proto=6
04/10/2009 12:40:21 Firewall[93] Deny EyeConnect connecting from 192.168.1.102:49186 to port 2170 proto=6

When it is working it works great but I'm very reluctant to switch off the software firewall. Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gordon

I got it working in Snow Leopard. The firewall issue gets sorted when you restart, have you tried that?

I seem to be having problems in getting this working and wonder if there is an issue with Snow Leopard compatibility.

I have tried two different routers, a Linksys WRT54G2 and a Dlink DIR-655, and have tried port forwarding to 2170 on both and UPnP is enabled. I've uninstalled and then reinstalled EyeTV and EyeConnect as well as the application on my iPhone. I'm running the latest EyeTV build (5613) but still no joy. Bonjour is working fine too (EyeTV shows up in Bonjour under bookmarks is Safari) as is Back to My Mac.

The only thing that actually allows it to work is to disable Snow Leopard's firewall. The firewall message is as follows:

04/10/2009 12:40:21 Firewall[93] Deny EyeConnect connecting from 192.168.1.102:49185 to port 2170 proto=6
04/10/2009 12:40:21 Firewall[93] Deny EyeConnect connecting from 192.168.1.102:49184 to port 2170 proto=6
04/10/2009 12:40:21 Firewall[93] Deny EyeConnect connecting from 192.168.1.102:49183 to port 2170 proto=6
04/10/2009 12:40:21 Firewall[93] Deny EyeConnect connecting from 192.168.1.102:49186 to port 2170 proto=6

When it is working it works great but I'm very reluctant to switch off the software firewall. Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gordon

Have you tried the new build....?

EyeTV Lounge • View topic - New EyeTV 3.2 (5612) may help with firewall problems

Mr X - thanks for letting me know it isn't down to Snow Leopard. I have tried restarting a few times but it doesn't appear to make any difference. I've even tried running it from my iPod touch just in case it was something to do with my iPhone, but have the same result.

Jowl - Thanks for the link. I'm actually running the latest build (5613) though have tried 5612 and that didn't make any difference.

Reading through some of the posts on the net it doesn't look like I'm the only one with this issue, so hopefully Elgato will figure out what the problem is and release an update.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom