• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Eyelid cyst removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules

Distinguished Member
Hope this isn't too gross.
I've had a cyst on my right upper eyelid for 12 months. It's not causing me any pain but its pretty unsightly and makes my eyelid feel heavy.

Getting a docs appt is nearly impossible. Unless its an emergency they give me a date about 5 weeks ahead and I've had to cancel a couple if times due to work. I just want to be able to walk in somewhere and have them remove it for me.

Anyone else had one? It's driving me mad.

Attachments

• image-1192093108.jpg
    image-1192093108.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 1,136

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
5 weeks? :eek:

Seriously, I would be mad if I had to wait 5 days, but its usually a couple of days (sometimes he same or next day if I'm in pain or something). Surely 5 weeks can't be right? Or am I just lucky where I live?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I book appointments on-line, get one in a day or two at most.
Check with the surgery.

Jules

Distinguished Member
5 weeks? :eek:

Seriously, I would be mad if I had to wait 5 days, but its usually a couple of days (sometimes he same or next day if I'm in pain or something). Surely 5 weeks can't be right? Or am I just lucky where I live?

Our doctors surgery is utter rubbish.... i was offered an appointment in May when I rang last week.

They say you can ring on the day for an appointment if you ring early.... but you just try getting through..... It's like getting free tickets to a Beyonce concert. Never gonna happen.

If and when I eventually get seen, they'll say come back in x weeks before we refer you on. Then I'll have to wait after that for a surgical appt.
It's blooming rubbish.

I'd pay to have it done privately tomorrow, but why should I? I've paid NI all my life and only seen my Dr about 3 times... In fact I've no idea who my doc is at the surgery.

Some areas are well served, but we are not.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Been doing the hot compresses and gentle massaging for weeks and it makes no difference.

it's quite a solid lump now so I don't think it's gonna go without a small surgical procedure.

My daughter had one when she was 11 (2001-ish) - she'd had it for about a year with no obvious ill effects. Here's was a bit more pronounced than yours - it was more hanging down over hereye-lid but she said it wasn't interfering with her vision.

As she was going into secondary school we decided to get it removed - our GP reckoned anything up to a year on the NHS, so we went to BUPA and paid. within a week it was sorted. She was in hospital for about 7 hours total. Because of her age the surgeon insisted on a general anaesthetic - had she been an adult he may have used a local, which would have been cheaper and she wouldn't have been in so long. At the time it cost (IIRC) about £800. She has a tiny scar that is virtually invisible - you have to look very hard to see it.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
My mother had one of these and had it removed.

She had to go to the eye hospital in Bristol if I remember correctly, and they injected it to numb it and lasere it off in a few minutes.
She was referred there by the GP.

Might be an option.

tris

Jules

Distinguished Member
I had surgery to remove my chalazion 4 days ago.

The anaesthetic injection was the worst part.... A needle in the eye is way worse than a dental injection.

4 days later and the swelling is starting to go down, but the lump is still there.
The surgeon did say it was better to remove it at its largest (mine had shrunk a bit) and that he had 'done his best', but it looks like it was an unsuccessful operation.

The more the swelling goes down, the more of the original lump shows itself to still be there.

Bit rubbish really.

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
I am absolutely plagued by eyelid cysts like these. I got one in December that I'm absolutely convinced was caused by eye drops, the the year before the same thing happened after I took eye drops for chronic dry eye. Except this time the eyelid swelled up badly on my left eye, and affected my sight! It was like a false astigmatism. Using the warm compress method with Johnsons baby shampoo I managed to get rid of the cyst in April, but the sight isn't fully back yet to last years standard though it's improved hugely. Every night I spend up to 20 minutes bathing my eyelids and still I'm getting cysts on the left eyelid, though much smaller than Decembers monster.

Exemplar

Banned
Needle, gloves, cameraphone, youtube = a gazillion hits...

Jules

Distinguished Member
I am absolutely plagued by eyelid cysts like these. I got one in December that I'm absolutely convinced was caused by eye drops, the the year before the same thing happened after I took eye drops for chronic dry eye. Except this time the eyelid swelled up badly on my left eye, and affected my sight! It was like a false astigmatism. Using the warm compress method with Johnsons baby shampoo I managed to get rid of the cyst in April, but the sight isn't fully back yet to last years standard though it's improved hugely. Every night I spend up to 20 minutes bathing my eyelids and still I'm getting cysts on the left eyelid, though much smaller than Decembers monster.

Funny you should say this about eye drops... Mine started after using a spray eye lubricant to help dry eyes. It was 2 years ago now, but I remember thinking it must have had something to do with it.

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Funny you should say this about eye drops... Mine started after using a spray eye lubricant to help dry eyes. It was 2 years ago now, but I remember thinking it must have had something to do with it.

Yeah back in 2011 I suspected the eye drops, and in 2012 I was convinced it was eye drops. Too coincidental. Now I might use these drops called 'Gel Tears' which I started using on a irregular basis after an optician recommended them to me (he didn't believe that eye drops were related to the cysts). 2 months later and yes, some small cysts have arranged themselves along my lower eyelid on my left eye, and another small one on the upper eyelid.

AJBek

Chalazions can be like that, they do tend to recur even when excised which is one of the reasons they don't like removing them. I have a few patients with them but there is not a lot you can do bar hot compresses and massage. They are caused by a blockage of a meibomian gland in the eyelid which are the glands that produce the oily component of the tears. The oils become stagnant which leads to a chronic granulomatous inflammation setting in which grumbles on for ages.

SanPedro

Had one of these for several years. Got so fed up with it decided to do something about it. £700 to go private and no chance on the NHS.

So.... I thought I'd try something. Some back story first... My Mrs had calcific tendonitis in her shoulder... which the doc treated by basically picking at this thing with a needle via ultrasound scan. Theory behind it is that the picking encouraged white blood cells to attack the calcium deposit and thus break it up.

So I tried a similar technique on the cyst. Just picked at it with a very fine sterilised needle every other day for a week or so. Anyhoo... after a couple of months it had disappeared completely. Coincidence? Who knows. Am convinced it was me that helped as this cyst had been there for well over a year, maybe longer.

lurcher

I had one develop earlier this year and thought it would just disappear , it didn't and although it wasn't sore it annoyed me and I was forever touching it .
In August I saw my doctor for my yearly review of medication and mentioned the cyst on my eyelid , after examining it he confirmed it was nothing to worry about but did I want him to remove it .
On the couch quick slice and squeezed the contents out ( yes it hurt for a few seconds ), next couple of days bathed with hot water and cotton wool and its gone :smashin:

Alan_W

My Mrs had calcific tendonitis in her shoulder... which the doc treated by basically picking at this thing with a needle via ultrasound scan. Theory behind it is that the picking encouraged white blood cells to attack the calcium deposit and thus break it up.

So I tried a similar technique on the cyst. Just picked at it with a very fine sterilised needle every other day for a week or so. Anyhoo... after a couple of months it had disappeared completely. Coincidence? Who knows. Am convinced it was me that helped as this cyst had been there for well over a year, maybe longer.
Please do not try this at home :nono:

Poking around your eyes with needles is not sensible, and is more likely to increase the inflammation.

IronGiant

As above, and time to close...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom