Question Eye strain LG OLED55B7V: help wanted for optimized settings

Teun87

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A week ago I bought a new TV after months of money saving :)
I did a lot of research and selected the LG OLED55B7V (55 inch) in the end. I like the fact that it is so slim and the OLED technique looked the most impressive too me, compared to others such as QLED.

My previous TV was also a LG, but a regular HD 32inch model from +/- 2014.

After mounting it on the wall I could finally enjoy my new TV. But, then the problem started... After a few minutes a massive headache started. Since everything looked very bright I reduced the OLED lightning, contrast and brightness. It seemed to help but my eyes still kept watering. I decided to go to bed and give it another try on the next day.

Days later I literally tried almost every setting and nothing seems to completely solve my eye problems. By the way: I only experience real problems with my left eye (eye strain, watering, irritations). I do sleep bad (6 a 7 hours) and make many hours behind computer screens.

I also emailed LG care center about this. They advised me to try out the Eye motion care option and the Eye comfort mode. I both tried the options. The Eye comfort mode did help a bit, the Eye motion care option seemed to improve nothing :)

My setup at the moment:
  • 280cm distance, couch is perfect in front of the tv
  • Extra environment lightning (not behind the tv, just a small lamp next to the TV)
  • TV is attached to a wall mount at 61cm height
My most important current display settings:
  • Cinema mode
  • OLED: 70
  • Contrast: 70
  • Brightness: 40
  • Sharpness: 10
  • Motion Eye care is on
  • Eye comfort mode is on
  • 2.2 (white balance??? Need to check)

Can anyone give me tips or a solution? Maybe ultimate settings
I'm so disappointed and thinking about returning the TV or get another model.

Thanks,
Teun

Day or evening viewing? I'd knock your brightness up to 51 (it's the black level, not the actual panel brightness), your contrast to about 80 (that's your white level setting) and take your OLED light down to about 30 for evening or 50 for daytime. The two modes you can use are isf bright room for daytime settings and isf dark room for evening/after dark viewing. You can set these differently and switch accordingly.

I see @Andrew1472 has posted a link to the settings thread, take a look there and set things up accordingly.

Day or evening viewing? I'd knock your brightness up to 51 (it's the black level, not the actual panel brightness), your contrast to about 80 (that's your white level setting) and take your OLED light down to about 30 for evening or 50 for daytime. The two modes you can use are isf bright room for daytime settings and isf dark room for evening/after dark viewing. You can set these differently and switch accordingly.

I see @Andrew1472 has posted a link to the settings thread, take a look there and set things up accordingly.

Thanks! I mostly watch in the evening. So I guess I need to use the ISD dark room settings. But I did read somewhere that a low OLED light level could also cause headaches etc. Because of flickering?!

Do I need to enable or disable Eye comfort modus?

@Andrew1472: You mean the settings in the very first post of this topic (the table)?

Thanks! I mostly watch in the evening. So I guess I need to use the ISD dark room settings. But I did read somewhere that a low OLED light level could also cause headaches etc. Because of flickering?!

Do I need to enable or disable Eye comfort modus?

@Andrew1472: You mean the settings in the very first post of this topic (the table)?
Yes. The settings in the first post.
There is no flicker at low OLED light. That is usually caused by black frame insertion which the B7 doesn’t have.
Disable both eye comfort options.
Give yourself, and your eyes, a couple of days to get used to the new settings.
I hope it helps.

You can program both isf light and dark room separately and switch between them as needed. Use the settings in the table in the first post of the settings thread that Andrew posted.

Ok thanks everyone. I will try this out and keep you posted.

BTW are there a lot of people suffering from eye strain with this TV, or am I one of the unlucky few? In other words, is this TV known for its eye strain problems compared to other brands and their TVs/display techniques?

Not that I am aware of. My partner and I find the picture to be stunning clear when using a good HD or UHD source, even more so when watching HDR.

Paddington 2 on the Apple TV in 4k and Dolby Vision was like looking through a window.

Yes. The settings in the first post.
There is no flicker at low OLED light. That is usually caused by black frame insertion which the B7 doesn’t have.
Disable both eye comfort options.
Give yourself, and your eyes, a couple of days to get used to the new settings.
I hope it helps.

I also used to suffer from eye strain...if your in front of a computer a lot, i found anti glare glasses like theese very usual

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CGID-Block...3&sr=8-3&keywords=anti+glare+computer+glasses

As for the Oled as Andrew says turn off eye comfort options
Brightness 51
Oled Light mine is at 18 and is perfectly fine, most of my viewing is nightime, dark room, but set to what your comfortable with....70 was mega high on yours.

edit. i should on multi quoted OP.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Pretty much the only time I would not play with the OLED light setting is on either Dolby Vision sources (where it is set to 50) and HDR (where it is 100). Otherwise, you can set it to whatever you find comfortable. Try and leave the brightness and contrast settings alone, because they control the black and white levels respectively. I find their names are misleading!

I also used to suffer from eye strain...if your in front of a computer a lot, i found anti glare glasses like theese very usual

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CGID-Block...3&sr=8-3&keywords=anti+glare+computer+glasses

As for the Oled as Andrew says turn off eye comfort options
Brightness 51
Oled Light mine is at 18 and is perfectly fine, most of my viewing is nightime, dark room, but set to what your comfortable with....70 was mega high on yours.

edit. i should on multi quoted OP.

Thanks for the tip. I will check the glasses.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ok thanks everyone. I will try this out and keep you posted.

BTW are there a lot of people suffering from eye strain with this TV, or am I one of the unlucky few? In other words, is this TV known for its eye strain problems compared to other brands and their TVs/display techniques?

I´m from Sweden and i have the same problem as you with OLED-tv:s. I get eye strain in my left eye after about 10 to 15 minutes watching.
I have tryed a couple of OLED-models over the years (LG 920v, B6, B7 and Philips POS9002) and the model that was best for my "Crazy Eye" was the Philips 9002, but it was far from painless. The B7 65" inch was also really good for a while. But the pain got worse and worse, so i returned it.

I have tryed calibrate with HCFR. I have been to Optometrists, Ophthalmologist and o couple of orthoptists, but no one can say whats wrong with my eye?
I have even bought a "Trial Lens Set" with spheres/cylinders/prisms on Ebay so i could see if i could find a refraction error/strabimus that the opticans/orthoptists has missed.
But even that was a dead end to my problem :(

The strange thing is that games is alot better regarding eye strain than movies/regular television. Some youtube-videos is also almost painless. One thing that is totaly painless is if i surf on the web or watching pictures etc.
I can do that for hours with no pain in the eye at all.

I also have trouble with led-monitors/tv:s with pwm-dimming.
So my theory is that the eye pain has something to do with the OLED responstime.
The transaction between frames is instant and the brain see low framerate content as some sort of subliminal flicker.

In any case, it is very frustrating not to be able to look at OLED without any problems. I really hope for a solution to the problem, because i really like the picture on OLED. It's just a pity that something in the brain or eye does not :-/
If you find something that helps, please post what you have found.

Update:
I did test out the recommended ISF dark room setting for a few days. Unfortunately, I'm still experiencing a pinching and watering left eye. Not super intense, but after appr. 45 minutes it starts to get annoying.

What could be the problem? Some say it couldn't be the brightness or PWM, but what than? I do not understand, it's quite an expensive tv.

I'm really dissapointed. Is there anyone who could help and perhaps has some last tips?
Otherwise I might return it and go back to my old LG lcd tv. With this tv I did not had any problem. Does somebody knows some alternative which I could try out? Sony, Samsung? No OLED?

Best regards and tanks for your help,
Teun

I officially returned the tv. My eyes couldn't get used to the OLED technique, whatever setting I used.

I'm now waiting for a fresh regular LCD-LED tv from LG (had a LCD-LED tv from LG in the past and never experiences eye problems). This model: LG 49SK8500. One size smaller, but still with above average specifications. I will keep you posted.

When was the last time you had visited an optician to have your eyes checked?

This. The symptoms described cannot possibly be down to the OLED TV. It sounds like eye strain which could be down to some sort of sight correction being needed.

While I would not necessarily blame the OP's eyesight, if he has not had his eyes checked recently, then it is always worth doing regularly. A good optician can pick up on other medical conditions not necessarily related to poor vision.

I did an eye check (by a professional optician) just before I returned the tv. No changes or possible other reasons. So sorry, the glasses cannot be blamed ;)

I did an eye check (by a professional optician) just before I returned the tv. No changes or possible other reasons. So sorry, the glasses cannot be blamed ;)

Ok that's good, just make sure to have another checkup (with back of eye photography) in 12 months time or earlier if you notice any changes.

Hey guys!

I have been having some issues adapting to my 55" LG B8. I am used to watch TV on 32 inches plasma, and when im looking at the oled, even static images I get a feeling that there is some visual noise or dirtiness, kind of like my eyes cannot focus properly( like if you look at the sun or a light source for a bit and then look somewhere else, you will have some artifacts flying around in your field of vision). I have tried many modes, many settings, oled light to 0, trust me all of it. Watching on the plasma I dont get any symptoms.

Does anyone understand what I am trying to convey here? And could this be due to the SIZE increase or some oled feature that my eyes cannot handle?

Thanks in advance!

Size and extra brightness will take some adjusting to after coming from a small and dark plasma.

What are your current oled settings?

Hi, I'm following rtings calibration settings mostly. But no matter the preset I experience that discomfort, reducing contrast and turning on de judder to 1 or 2 helps a bit but I am very close to return the TV. Such a shame I was looking forward to enjoy this TV

This is the weirdest post I have come across in a while.

On one side, we have the LED crowd complaining how dark these OLEDs are and now we have folks complaining that it is causing eye strain even at optimal settings. :confused:

Ditch the OLED and buy Sony ZF9 or Samsung Q9FN. They must look pleasing to your eyes. :laugh:

How about getting more sleep and checking your TV after staring less at computer monitors? Surely this is down to your physical state of affairds and not the TV !!!

I think there's some medical problem. I'm sensitive to PWM flickering very much and when i had 55B8 it was perfectly fine. Very comfortable to my eyes. It seemed like flickerfree.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom