eye of the storm

L

lisa burrell

i was sitting eating my lunch reading through Google news and come across this from china

what interested me was in my wildest imagination trying to picture 36.000 ships which sounds like an invation force to me LOL returning to harbour

Super-typhoon hits China, 1.2m evacuate

Beijing (dpa) - China evacuated more than 1.3 million people from vulnerable areas of two eastern provinces as Supertyphoon Saomai battered coastal areas Thursday, officials and state media said.

State media quoted officials as saying the typhoon was the strongest to hit south-eastern China in 50 years.

At least 765,000 people were evacuated in Zhejiang province and 571,000 in neighbouring Fujian after Saomai strengthened into a supertyphoon Wednesday night, the official Xinhua news agency quoted meteorologists as saying.

Winds near the centre of the typhoon were as high as 60 metres per second, or force 17, the highest on the recently extended Beaufort scale, a Zhejiang meteorological official said by telephone.

The typhoon made landfall between the cities on Wenzhou in Zhejiang and nearby Fu'an in Fujian, and the centre of the typhoon was forecast to move northwest over inland areas on Thursday night.

Heavy rainstorms were forecast to hit many areas of the two provinces until Friday with the worst-affected areas expected to be near the cities of Wenzhou, Taizhou and Ningbo.

At least 25 flights were cancelled to and from Fuzhou, the provincial capital of Fujian.

Zhejiang officials have issued warnings of possible landslides and mudslides in mountainous inland areas and called 32,000 ships back to port.

More than 36,000 ships returned to harbour in Fujian and officials suspended all outdoor activities at the 26,800 schools in the province, reports said.

Saomai is the eighth typhoon to hit China this year. The previous one, Prapiroon, fizzled out earlier this week after killing more than 80 people in southern China.

More than 1,000 people have died in floods, landslides and other disasters following summer storms in China this year.

Typhoon Bilis killed more than 600 people in southern and eastern China in mid-July.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom