Extremely slow remote on Philips Ambilight

Random3

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hoping someone can help.

Bought a 2019 model 50” Ambilight last week. Love the tv, but the remote is driving me insane. Just now it stopped responding completely. Well, some buttons worked fine, like the Netflix button and the power button, but most of the remote was dead. So I reset the tv at the plug and now it is working.

However the ongoing problem which I noticed since day one and hoped would go away is that some functions on the remote take 7-10 seconds to respond on the tv. So if I change the volume or turn the tv off it happens immediately. If I want to change source or I press the settings button I can be waiting up to 10 seconds for anything to happen.

This doesn’t seem normal. I can understand a delay of a second or two but this is ridiculous for a £550 tv. My old tv was a 6 year old Technika and it was waaaay faster than this one.

Googling just gives me non-answers. Turn it off and on. Check software update. Buy a new remote. But the tv is a week old. So is there anything I can do? Or is this just the way it is?

Factory reset tv, once start up connect to network, update software, also it asks to update remote firmware and everything runs fine. Take film off remote, also ensure brand new batteries fitted. Pair remote, and ensure nothing is obstructing bottom of tv red led area as I noticed remote wont respond then.

I’m having the exact same problems on my 75inch ambilight PUS6754.

It’s ridiculous, only button that will work half the time is the power on/off button! All software is up to date and fresh battery’s in the remote!

It seems to be mainly when using the inbuilt Netflix app....

Last edited:
I find that after resetting the TV (I've done mine a few times!!) it takes an hour or so in my experience for the apps to update in the background, whilst this is happening the remote is woeful...

So give it time and it comes back to normal in my experience.

I just bought a new Philips 55" 4K UHD Smart TV 55PUS6554/12 and i have the same issue. Especially in netflix. Even when I try to change the volume I get this 10 seconds delay so it can't be wifi or something like that. I will try to reinstall it. But this should not be a problem with a new smart TV.

Same problem here. If I ask too much of the TV then it clogs up and grinds to a halt, like a laptop from 1999 trying to run Windows 10.

The TV's firmware is just rubbish, plain and simple. I've given up on its smart (???) features and bought a Roku Premiere to take care of that side of things.

Same issue here 😞 For me this problem appeared after the latest firmware update. How about you guys?

Amazingly this fixed the issue, was charging a PlayStation controller and removed it and works fine again

That's what I was charging! Strangely, it's only the newer ones that cause the slow down. My older, original ones don't.

I subscribed just to say I have the same issue, even changing sources takes at least 5 seconds to get any response. It’s very frustrating and even after a fairly recent reset and new firmware the tv is exactly the same. It wasn’t like this out of the box, it’s gotten worse. I don’t have any usb devices plugged, changed batteries etc.

Hi I bought a Philips 6724 and having the exact same issues, and worse .
My tv frequently freezes and won't respond to any buttons and only way to fix this is turn the plug off and on again.
I bought the tv from AO .com and they are really bad it's been 2 days I bought the philips but they refuse to accept a fault and refund me as they say I have to speak to philips first.

I just did that and the guy said he will email me with instructions and if that don't solve the issue then it will be classes as faulty.

I don't understand why I have to go through all this just to get a refund? Do t I have any rights for a refund it's only been 2 days?

Anybody else dealt with AO before?

Also I tried resetting tv and updated firmware etc but no help.

My tv frequently freezes and won't respond to any buttons and only way to fix this is turn the plug off and on again.
I bought the tv from AO .com and they are really bad it's been 2 days I bought the philips but they refuse to accept a fault and refund me as they say I have to speak to philips first.

I just did that and the guy said he will email me with instructions and if that don't solve the issue then it will be classes as faulty.

I don't understand why I have to go through all this just to get a refund? Do t I have any rights for a refund it's only been 2 days?

Not sure how on 6series but my 7394 I noticed that remote will only trigger buttons if you hold it directing to tv with buttons facing to top. If remote is turned around or upright position - buttons don't work? Suppose some sort protection against accidental press if sit down on it or falling. Took a while to get used too as most other tv remotes I had worked in any angle even in reverse...

Not sure how on 6series but my 7394 I noticed that remote will only trigger buttons if you hold it directing to tv with buttons facing to top. If remote is turned around or upright position - buttons don't work? Suppose some sort protection against accidental press if sit down on it or falling. Took a while to get used too as most other tv remotes I had worked in any angle even in reverse...
Is that the one with the qwerty keyboard on the back of the remote? My 8204 has that and it automatically disables the buttons of whichever side of the remote is facing the floor.

Is that the one with the qwerty keyboard on the back of the remote? My 8204 has that and it automatically disables the buttons of whichever side of the remote is facing the floor.
yep that's the one :)

No mine is completely frozen even if I take the remote right next to the tv it happened again tonight, just hopefully philips recognises this and confirm it's faulty as ao.com is refusing refund without it being confirmed faulty.

Are these TVs Saphi or Android9?
My Android9 OLE854 has the QWERTY backed remote.
Everything worked out the box, but when I updated to latest firmware the remote keyboard stopped working.
Once I power cycled the remote and paired it back up with the TV everything worked again. Might be worth trying this.
The remote is smart...when you hold it with the main side up you need to use the cursor to select the onscreen letters. When you flip it over, the QWERTY keyboard activates and inputs on the search field on the screen...flip it back over and the keyboard keys now on the underside are disabled.
There is a slight delay of about 1.5 to 2 secs before e.g the menu comes up on the screen after the button press on the remote. Then scrolling around and sub menus are instant.
Hope it’s something you can fix.

Don't waste your time arguing with them about it being faulty. If you've had the TV for less than 14 days then you can "cancel" and request a full refund. Faulty or not. Box opened or not. Used or not.

Read up on "Consumer Rights" for distance selling... i.e. online, over the phone, etc.

Hi just to update I have managed to get a refund and the tv is being collected this Thursday.

I did manage a temporary fix by getting my avreceiver from another room and connecting all source to that and one hdmi out to tv, which seems to work as I don't need to touch the philips remote etc.

But we'll done AO.com in the end.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom