Extremely jerky NTSC playback

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ian_S, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    Hi all,

I've recently bought a second hand 2900, and for DVD Audio and SACD (the main reason for getting it) it sounds superb, very impressed.

My problem however is with NTSC discs, not necessarily region 1 either. I have a Sony 32" CRT and the Denon is connected to it via SCART set to RGB. (Hence going for a 2nd hand 2900 rather than a shiny new 3910, no point paying for loads of video bits I won't need...) On PAL discs, the picture seems OK, and playback and motion is nice and smooth as it should be. On NTSC though, well, it's horrible. It's as if someone's removed 2 of every three frames of video and it's extremely jerky. The sound is fine though, no evidence of drop outs or sound stuttering.

The player it's replaced is a Sony DVP-NS905V, which when playing the same discs played them nice and smoothly, no problem. The disc I noticed it on first is the Pioneer release of Queen's We Will Rock You, which up until now I thought had superb picture quality as well as sound and had become something of a reference disc for me. The DVD-Audio's I own also show the problem in the video parts as pretty much all DVD Audio's encode their video as NTSC and are region free, as is the Queen disc. The one R1 disc I have , Highlander Immortal Edition, also has horrific jerky playback.

My local dealer kindly leant me their last 2900 firmware update disc, but I think the player was already at that level (DRV 030827, B/E 6237W, Panel 0043-f) and it made no difference.

Are there any settings I haven't found that might be causing this?? Could it be something that you can only get to in progressive mode?? I've done a search on how to perform a 'factory reset' of the player but can't find any answers on how you do it. Is it worth a try and if so how do you perform a complete reset?? Any other ideas? I can't believe this is how it's supposed to be for NTSC playback, especially as it's sooooo different to the PAL performance.

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

2. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    D'oh.... RTFM :suicide:

Press skip forward and play together, then hold the open/close button for 3 seconds...

And it fixed the problem... The setting causing the problem was TV type. It was set to PAL, the reset changed it to MULTI. Picture in NTSC was much much better... changed it back to PAL to see what happened and bingo, back came the really jerky picture. Not sure how that works when I'm sure the TV doesn't do NTSC, but hey, not complaining :)

Still can't get over just how damn good the DVD Audio and SACD playback is. I thought DTS 96/24 was good... not in the same league, not even close!! Wow!! :thumbsup:

3. Jake

Jake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to admit that one got me flustered for a bit on my new 3910 before I found the setting on the setup menu.

Jake