1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extreme front (stereo) and surround speaker mismatch

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Joe Molleson, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Joe Molleson

Joe Molleson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I have a dedicated 2-channel setup using Nautilus 802's, and a seperate surround system using Kef KHT2005 speakers and a Sony AV Reciever.

In an attempt to use the 802's as front speakers for movie use (and also act as a 'pseudo sub'), I am feeding the front left/right pre-outs from my Sony surround amp into a 'processor-direct' input of the preamp from the 2-channel system. Also, I've configured the Sony with all but the front L/R speakers as 'small', and told it I have no sub (so that it redirects the LFE channel to the fronts).

Now, the problem is that I cannot get the Kef satellites (and I'm mainly concerned with the center channel here) to integrate with the 802s. Even when I set the sub crossover frequency really high (e.g. 160hz), and the center/surround low-frequency cutoff to match this, there is still a gap when I playing a frequency sweep test tone. This is really strange, sinc the little Kef eggs reach down to about 80Hz don't they?

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Granted, you probably couldn't find two less well matched speakers if you tried, but I cannot afford or justify a full set of Nautilus speakers for surround use at present, and would still like to make use of them when watching films.

Apologies for such a long-whinded question, and also if this is a little off-topic.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Can you get ANYTHING else for a centre speaker - ie. any decent full range speaker? Perhaps one of the B&W 600 series. Those Eggs and your 802's are just SO far apart tonally.

3. Joe Molleson

Joe Molleson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you're right. Getting a full range centre is the correct solution, I'm just trying to avoid the enevitable! However, it's a little surprising that I can't get the front speakers to 'fill in' (in terms of frequency renge) where the little KEF sub would normally go.

Perhaps this is more of an amplfier issue - i.e. the Sony reciever starts 'rolling-off' the centre above the specified low-freq cutoff point, and also starts 'rolling-in' the sub at that same frequency, rather than a bit above it. That;s just a guess, and doesn't make a lot of sense since such behaviour would alwsys resuly in a sonic 'hole'?

Sigh. Anyone have a red-cherry B&W HTM1 they want to sell? :D

Joe

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I doubt the eggs go down to 80Hz, unless it's -10dB or something.
    That said the best advise is to use a matching center or, if you can't
    afford it right now, anything else which is better than the egg.