1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extras or cheaper discs?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by NickBull, May 22, 2002.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I for one would gladly give up the extras for more reasonably priced discs. I hardly ever watch them and think 2 versions of a disc would make sense. One with no extras at £5.00 or more cheaper than the loaded version.

What does anyone else think?

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Personally, I think no-frills DVD's kind of defeat the whole purpose of owning a film on DVD in the first place!

If you really want a no-frills DVD, then buy the Columbia Tristar "Superbit" DVD's, or the vast majority of Warners, Buena Vistas/Disney's releases, as they tend to have no extras on them! :D

Seriously though, if people only want the film, then you may as well stick to videos. The idea of a DVD was to be able to allow interactive content and non-interactive content to be included, alongside the film itself, on a superior and easier-to-handle format.

I don't see the purpose in spending £12 on a cheap, no-frills DVD, when I could buy the video for the same price. Yes, DVD has better picture and sound quality (more often than not), but I don't want just that. I want behind-the-scenes featurettes, documentaries, audio commentaries, interviews, trailers and other extras as well to complement the feature film itself.

Pooch

3. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i buy dvd for 5.1 sound, widescreen picture and durability. vhs occasionally may offer one of these. i rarely watch extras and may listen to a directors commentary if i really like the film.
    so i would be happy to have cheaper extras free dvds, aslong as we have the choice

4. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100% agree with you.

5. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    NickBull I couldn't agree more.

I buy the discs for the films only and rarely watch the extras. I also buy DVD's because I enjoy the better picture and sound definition. I would much rather they afforded all the available disc space to the film only on it's original release rather than releasing 'Super Bit' versions years later.

Who here, having spent hundreds or thousands of pounds on their system, can honestly say that they are happy to compromise on the quality of a film (ie reduced bit rate) just to have 20 hours (for e.g.) of extras squeezed onto the disc?????????

However, I can see that some people want loads of extra's so I think all manufacturers should follow Disney's example and release single disc versions of their films (with minimal extras) and a special edition to include a second disc full of extras. Hey presto - everyone's happy. Great quality film (ie high bit rate afforded to the film's audio & visual) and loads of great (?) extras should you wish to purchase them at extra cost.

6. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I only buy a film if I really like it and want to watch it and rewatch it - otherwise I rent it. If it's the kind of film that I want to buy then I'm happy to pay for the extras.

My favourite disks for extras are:
    Alien (Fantastic commentary)
    The Usual Suspects (2 disker)
    T2 UE (R1)
    Se7en

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Not fussed about Extra features at all. Much rather have better quality Video & Audio & if they´re cheaper then all well & good.

8. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hello all!

Although being a strapped for cash "non resident parent", I think £16/£17 a shot is excellent value for money, even with no extras!
    I generally enjoy any documentaries/commentaries present, as I'm interested in the process of how film is made, however repeat value is admittedly is low.
    I've only seen one Superbit disc (on a 32" screen) & could not say that I noticed any real difference the higher bit rate made to the picture.

Cheers, Paul

9. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i suppose we have become spoilt very quickly. just over 5 years ago i was delighted to be paying 23.99 for region 1 flipper dvds with no extras.
    now i am annoyed if a dvd has no extras even though i rarely watch them.
    as region 2 dvds are being quickly reduced in price to between 6.99 and 9.99 by dealers like play247.com, i reckon a scaled down no extras dvd would have to be priced at around 4.99

10. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I seem to hold the complete opposite view of everyone else! :rolleyes: I think the extras are an essentail part of the DVD experience, many times I have bought a title on the strength of the extras alone.
    Having said that, why not make bare-bones titles available at a lesser price for people if they want them, as long as it is as well as and not instead of. I doubt such an idea would be economically viable though.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you go back to the mid 90's when DVD was first talked about, it was the superior picture and sound quality that was being discussed and extras came along later.

I never watch the extras as I am not that interested and would much prefer that all DVD's were available with dual pricing with those that don't want the extras not having to pay for them.

12. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The debate about the interest generated by extras has come up before and it always seems that a big majority do not really care for them that much. I rarely watch all the extras on a disc and have never listened to a commentary from start to finish - I simply do not find it interesting enough. Some extras such as Making Of's can be good to watch, but they will not hold up to repeated vewings the way the actual film will. I think the idea of a stripped down cheaper DVD with just the film is a good idea, but it'll probably never happen. I also disagree with the contributer who says that we may as well just buy VHS. Thats silly. VHS has poor sound and picture quality and the tape will deteriorate with more than a dozen viewings as they are recorded on very cheap grade media. The main thing on a DVD is the film itself, everything else is a bonus.

13. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Agreed. I never even bothered collecting films until DVD came out, I felt that VHS was not worthy of my money, and LD was too expensive!

14. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98

Exactly the same as me...never bothered with videos apart from the odd live concert by my fave bands..but now have most of them on DVD so never watch the vids anyway...and films were a no-no because the sound and pic quality was a let down compared to the cinema release..and then came DVD - WOW..gotta get that film on DVD etc...

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I feel that too many people have lost sight of that fact as evidenced by all of the people that say that they will only buy the film if it is not in the correct aspect ratio or has DTS or some other similar techie reason.

16. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I prefer to buy a film if it is in the correct aspect ratio, if possible.

17. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Again,

It seems myself and Lex are the only two people interested into Extras on a DVD! I have to admit to being quite shocked at this.

However, regardless of that, I do have to ask one question, which no one has yet bothered to ask:

If companies released two different DVD's, say one with no extras at £12-99 and another DVD with lots of extras at say £17-99, why do any of you think that the disc with no extras on it, will have a better picture/audio over the one that's full of extras?!

More than likely, the company will simply still use the same master for both releases, and they won't give a rat's ass if the quality on the no-extras disc is no better/worse than the one that's got all the extras.

As such, the whole idea seems rather moot. Isn't it far better that DVD companies give us consumers as much material as is possible, at a reasonable price, which (hopefully) doesn't compromise too much between picture and audio quality, and the amounts of extras, and you don't watch them, than have a bare-bones disc, that then may get re-released in 6 months with a documentary you really, really want?!

(Hope that last bit makes sense?)

Pooch

18. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I was not saying that an extra-free DVD would have better sound and picture than a fully loaded one. I would assume that it would be exactly the same - which would do me rightly. You are basically saying 'Would you pay £5 extra for a pile of extras?' - my simple answer would be 'No'. Sorry to disappoint you but that is the God's honest truth.

19. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am also genuinely surprised that people don't want the extras. I suppose it depends on how much you love movies - I love em and can't get enough of the extras, I think that having deleted and alternate scenes, commentaries, documentaries etc really add to your understanding of the film, even films which I don't like are interesting, I didn't like The Cell for instance, but by going through the extras and listening to the commentary you begin to understand why it didn't work.

The more extras the better!

I think that it is inaccurate to say that a featureless disk would cost less anyway. I am certain that these DVDs would be selling for the same price regardless - the extras are more about enticement to buy, rather than an excuse to put the price up.

20. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I tend to agree with you Lex that a featureless disc would be cheaper cos film companies aren't that nice. So if bare discs are gonna be £17 then we may as well have a loaded one for the same price. But the more discs come out in special special editions and collectors editions etc it just means that I can pick up the original versions cheap on auction sites as the previous owners upgrade.

21. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    In a perfect world, dvds would have the quality of superbit titles, complete with both Dolby & DTS tracks, all the extras you could ever want and at a price of 10/12 quid each.

The Superbit Deluxe range is heading in the right direction and at 15.99 (from Play) the price is pretty good as well (same as the single Superbit titles!). All they need to do is increase the available titles & reduce the price (wishful thinking!!).

Despite the fact that I´m not fussed about extras, if there is a 2 disc version available at the same price as the single disc, I´ll buy the 2 disc version (just in case I ever decide to watch extras;) )

22. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get a DVD for the picture and sound quality, not the extras.

I would prefer a cheaper disc without extras 99 out of a 100 times.

23. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that the discussion was about if buyers would be willing to do without the extras in return for less expensive DVDs. I would prefer less expensive disks so that I can build up a larger collection but I am not saying that I don't appreciate extras.

However I agree with you ... it is unlikely that DVDs without extras would be less expensive.

What really upsets me is that R1 versions are available sooner, are less expensive and often have more extras than other regions.

24. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,042
    Hi Ian
    I have seen Deep Rising and Long Kiss Goodnight for £9.99, but have been put off because the are only Pro-Logic at present.
    I must say I do enjoy the extras, but only watch them once like many others. I would prefer the all the quality to go into the visual and audio side rather than extras. One thing I would like though is a just the music sound track only option, like they did on North By Northwest. The trouble with Reg 2 is all the language tracks take more space up.

25. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taking up of space is only a problem because the studios are "in love with" DVD-9!!! Occassionally they use DVD-5 (e.g. the extra disk on O Brother Where Art Thou R2) and DVD-10 (e.g The Shawshank Redemption R2) but I have yet to see a DVD-14 or a DVD-18 disk!!

Look how the capacities compare.....

DVD-5 (12 cm, SS/SL) 4.37 gig (4.70 BB) of data, over 2 hours of video
    DVD-9 (12 cm, SS/DL) 7.95 gig (8.54 BB), about 4 hours
    DVD-10 (12 cm, DS/SL) 8.74 gig (9.40 BB), about 4.5 hours
    DVD-14 (12 cm, DS/ML) 12.32 gig (13.24 BB), about 6.5 hours
    DVD-18 (12 cm, DS/DL) 15.90 gig (17.08 BB), over 8 hours

(Source: http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html)

Come on studios!! You know it wouldn't cost that much more because these things would be mass produced!!!

26. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If offered the choice I would take DVDs with higher bit rate pictures, Dolby Digital and dts tracks and forget the extras. Sometimes they are worth a look or listen but all to often they give little extra insight into the movie or any entertainment in their own right.

WIth some classics they can be valuable. E.g. Orson Welles, Hitchcock etc. But in the majority of cases they seem pointless.

The same can be said for the number of sattelite channels. If there were fewer channels with higher quality pictures and multi-channel sound, I might just break a principle and further line Mr. Murdoch's pockets. As it is, I'd rather spend the cash on buying or renting DVDs.

27. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lex says he loves movies which is why he likes extras. well i love movies and i prefer to watch movies instead of extras.

i would have quoted lex but i am a computer idiot and cant work out how to

28. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You don't have to be a computer genius to press the "quote" button.

Lex didn't imply that he preferred watching extras to watching movies but that he liked watching both.

29. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what lex implied was that his liking of extras in some way proved his love of movies.

my point is that i would much rather spend my spare time watching movies.

30. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    mcmullanbrush,

It seems you are incapable of quoting, but you are an expert at MISquoting! I said nothing like what you are trying to suggest.

My point was that that discussion was irrelevant because the price of DVDs is not determined by the amount of extras.