"Extractor" - HDMI to HDMI plus Analogue

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by Barboots, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Barboots

Barboots
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a lower model Pioneer VSX-830 and it has no pre-outs, which is preventing me from connecting it to a totally separate "old school" two channel system for music listening. I was thinking I could get a HDMI Audio Extractor things like this:

1080P HDMI to HDMI + Audio SPDIF RCA L/R New Adapter Decoder Extractor Converter

My question is: do these devices tend to affect the pass through HDMI signal negatively, causing sync problems? Do they sometimes strip the audio from the HDMI stream? Other general commentary, and discussion about how truly awful the audio output might be, appreciated.

Other product suggestions welcome, however as this is likely to be an infrequently used add on to a vinyl / Sqeezebox listening system, low cost is key.

Cheers,
    Steve

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,614
    I use similar devices like these in my work and they do the job with no ill effects.

3. Barboots

Barboots
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that JayCee. I'll splash out on one [emoji1]

Cheers,
    Steve

4. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Though you might find the DAC in the unit isn't the best quality though.

5. Barboots

Barboots
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I guess it's on the cards when the device is only 14 bucks ChuckMountain. Any hot tips for something a bit nicer, without going nuts price wise?

Cheers,
    Steve

6. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    What device are you intending to be the source to listen to?

7. Barboots

Barboots
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Valid question:

- The HDMI feed from my (remote) computer... probably just for those times I want to play some encoded files not in my Squeezebox library.

- Better YouTube (etc) streams from the PC... if there's such a thing.

- My PC to play a random CD which might come into the house. The only active disc player I have is in my computer, though I have a few stored around the place... so could just plug one in. That said, my equipment is in a cabinet you can't reach without a step.

- Bluetooth via the VSX-830... though I haven't actually tested it routes the BT audio to the HDMI output. I should check that now you've made me think of it. I can probably use "the telly" to confirm.

- Spotify via the VSX-830. Same thing... need to check.

I guess the last two items I could also address with a BT receiver plugged in to the old Rotel amp. Then there's Chromecast Audio... though I get a feeling it'd be fiddly and end up frustrating me.

Cheers,
    Steve

8. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I had a look through the manual and I can't tell (haven't read it all) if it outputs audio (and in what format) on the HDMI output.

It might be easier as you said to test it to see but I suspect, but could be completely wrong that it won't send Bluetooth or Spotify sound via HDMI to the TV. In which case the HDMI audio extractor would not work anyway for that.

It may work for other stuff in pass through mode i.e. the amp is in standby but again can't see anything obvious in the manual.

If that's not the case then the HDMI extractor would need to be between the source and the AV amp (Rather than on the HDMI output) for you to get any sound.

That would limit you to the one source as well which isn't ideal.

So you have a 5.1 system and a Rotel amp with a separate pair of speakers? Just trying to think if there is a better\other solution.

The reason I mentioned about the DAC is I recently bought an iEast stream media player on the basis of it supposedly had a really good ESS Sabre DAC

iEast Soundstream Wifi Music Receiver by Neet: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I needed Analog out for some additional Zones on my Yamaha amp that won't accept digital input.

It works fine and does all the things you want it to do however comparing the DAC from that and my slightly older Yamaha AV amp (albeit top of the range). There is much more clarity on the latter, my test was my daughter who could hear the difference too.

However if I heard it in isolation then would have probably been ok with it.

If you wanting better stereo reproduction you need to make sure that the DAC is up to scratch as you may ironically find out the Pioneer may sound better...

9. Barboots

Barboots
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, you're correct in that the VSX-830 and a 5.1 speaker system is set up in "parallel" with the Rotel in stereo. The 5.1 system was installed to be out of the way in what is a small room, and no amount of MCACC can make it really enjoyable to listen to 2 channel material. It's a satellite system so is heavily reliant on the sub for lower mids and down. The Pioneer also doesn't have a phono pre for my Rotel turntable which I thought I should dust off, service and enjoy occasionally. The best solution would be to buy a nice replacement for the VSX-830, but I have modest wants and numerous other interest vying for cash input. Another would be to buy a great 5.1 speaker system and hang the aesthetics.

Anyway I appreciate the discussion, which has brought my attention to possible routing limitations. Interestingly, there are plenty of these with the Pioneer AVRs. I spent the weekend going through numerous configurations to achieve what I wanted from my VSX-924 located in another room. The source restrictions on Zone2 and the HD Zone almost had me going insane. The manuals are so clearly written! [emoji1]

Cheers,
    Steve