extracting the OS to move to SSD

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by reeve1987, Nov 28, 2010.

1. reeve1987

reeve1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    well something tells me that this is going to be an imposible task. or for those who belive nothing is impossible a VERY long task.

i currently have an operating system installed. windows 7 on a standard hdd.
    all my games and programs as well as data is also mixzed into it on the same drive.

now i want to change to an SSD. is there a way to extract the OS to transfer to the SSD without moving all the data, programs and games as well? without having to go through all the softwares data and instruct the software where the OS has been moved to ect ect?

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    Most programs don't care where the OS is and will happily run through a freshly installed copy of windows 7 on the SSD once you've created new shortcuts to them, although saved settings may be lost.

Those that don't will need to be set up again, it's easiest just to reinstall than mess about doing it manually.

3. reeve1987

reeve1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    i hear what your saying but i idealy need a way to move only the o/s to the SSD because i cant remember how many times i've re-used the product key on fresh installs during this systems...."twitchy" period. and dont want to go through it all to find out the keys been used up.

4. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
  5. reeve1987

reeve1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    182gb of used space on a 232gb hdd.

cant afford a 256gb ssd anytime soon hence the 32gb and 64gb ones.

cloning over isnt really a viable option.

6. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    First, you don't have to enter a product key when you install Windows and you have at least 30 days before you have to activate, so that's not an issue. It's a retail full or upgrade version you can reactivate it as many times as you want (on one PC at a time). If it's an OEM version, yes you might have a problem, but it can be resolved with a call to Microsoft.

Also, you really want Windows on the SDD and your data on another drive. Mixing them up isn't going to help performance.

A clean install on the SSD is the way to go.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  7. reeve1987

reeve1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    okay well im going to do a clean install on my current hdd after partitioning it off into sections.

question though, can you clone a single partition to an SSD? if so what program lets you do so? preferably free software as its used so very rarely.

just one partition though, not the entire drive.

8. reeve1987

reeve1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
  9. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    As you said in your first post:
    "well something tells me that this is going to be an imposible task. or for those who belive nothing is impossible a VERY long task".

Cloning your old partition to a new SSD is a really bad idea. Yes, no doubt something like Acronis could do it, I dont know of a good free alternative.

32GB is very small for a Windows boot partition, I'd go bigger.

10. reeve1987

reeve1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    really? i just done a clean installation and fully updated and its sitting on 12.1/32gb

im installing all programs into another partition so programs isnt to much of an issue.

im basicaly going to clone my o/s partition over to the SSD when i get it and reinstall programs n stuff.

migh do a clean install. dont really know. just researching options at the moment