Extra Thermal paste with i7 2600k & stock cooler?

MunkyHeed

Standard Member
Hi all,
I've got my i7 2600k sat in its box next to me at the moment. I notice it doesn't have any thermal paste included in it. Do I need to buy some extra for when I install it? I'm not going to be OC'ing this machine to begin with, and will be using the stock cooler that comes supplied with the CPU. The instructions just show that you place the CPU in the M/B, then attach the sink on top... no mention of thermal paste.

Thanks.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
There may well be some material (not paste) on the underside of the cooler already.
It should be grey.

MunkyHeed

Standard Member
There may well be some material (not paste) on the underside of the cooler already.
It should be grey.

Yep. You're right. There's 3 grey wax-like strips on the bottom that I've manages to smear when I put my finger on it :facepalm:. Not enough to remove any, just enough to spread a tiny bit over the contact plate. I'm guessing this melts and acts as the TIM?

shadowboxer

No doesn't melt does it? I thought the weight of cooler will spread it. Surely TIM doesn't melt?

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
It's silver loaded polyimide or epoxy that softens under heat and pressure and partially cures so it takes on a "set". The goo that the siver dust is suspended in partially disappears so that the silver beads come into closer contact with each other and improve the thermal transfer.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom