1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extra Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dom Rice, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a rel q400 sub in a normal size room i.e 18*12 ft. This is fine but we are building an extension which is 25*15. Would this sub struggle to produce the same kind of bass in this new room?

I know that two subs are supposed to be better than one but cost is a factor.

Does anyone have any thought/suggestions.? I have also been recommended to change the sub to an M&K. again any thoughts?

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Two subs are EXCELLENT and the solution to many an AVers problems. Personally I prefer two the same. It allows you 6 dB additional headroom which just makes everything much better and keeps it aways from all those distorion problems. I am actually a fan of two slightly lesser subs rather than one mega one, a better combination IMHO. However I understand if people want to start off with one mega one and then buy a second. A second Q400 as you have gone that route as well or preferable look to a pair of the power buy Velodynes and sell the Q400.

3. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    If you decide to buy another Q400 then Sevenoaks HiFi in Maidstone Kent have them for sale at £849.99 (Gittex Black)

-

GJC

-----

I sold my Q400 a while ago but I am sure two of these would be more than overkill for your room dimensions::D

4. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are velodynes as good as rel or m&K subs? I have heard them mentioned in various forums but have not heard them.

Thanks for your advice guys.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Personally I find the RELs expensive nowdays and the M and Ks very expensive. Both do make both good and bad subs. Rel STs are good but I (and others) are less keen on the Qs. Velodyne make some stunning subs and are more favourable priced, particularly with Eric power buys. How long these last I am not sure though.....

You don't get something for nothing with subs and subs generally need big boxes, large amounts of power and large drive units. If for whatever reason a design doesn't have all three then they need to do something really good in the design to be able to achieve low notes at high levels with low distortion.

i.e. if you want a small box you need

Throw silly amounts of power at the thing (Sunfire 2700w on a 12 inch cube) or go servo route (Velodyne HGS 10).

For me the Velodyne range are a nice balance of priorities. Although the idea of two subs is great, your room, at first cal, does have decent acoustic dimensions, and you will find the HGS 15 from Velodyne will NOT struggle one iota. In fact they will eat this stuff for breakfast and not break into a sweat. They are also sonic MUCH superior to you current Q400 (and most other subs for that matter). This includes the top Rels and Mand K imho. You will find the only people who disagree are the Rel and M and K owners who have never heard these subs. I have a similar Paradigm at home and a Rel Stentor. The difference is NOT small.

I would check out you room acoustics first to see if there are any major problems before you buy a second sub. You may find a single better quality sub is all you need.

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I beg your pardon :D
    Dom, notice that I havn't put any M&K subs in the power-buys ?
    IMO the HGS range eats the lot for breakfast, and then some.

Eric

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. However, care must be taken with placement as its easy for cancellation and other errors to take place with this configuration.

The sub pair must be the same distance to the main listening position(s) which is hard to do in a living room environment. This is why we often see stacked subs (one on top of the other), though I'm not a big fan of this method. I prefer to place sub pairs either side of the main centre equidistent to the main listening position.
    This would give a Left main/Sub/Centre main/Sub/Right main front soundstage.

8. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Hi

Don't forget that 6dB of headroom is the max you get and only when the subs are adjacent. When you start moving them apart the 6dB becomes 3-4dB.

Cheers
    Boris