extra speakers placement help?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Mr Footlong, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Mr Footlong

Mr Footlong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi folks. Feel like a muppet asking for help to be honest but I have been on a 5.1 setup with fairly mediocre speakers (not mine! :D) for so long that I want to get this sorted first time with experienced help rather than just my gut. There are already so many holes in the walls from where different speakers etc have been over the years that I can't really experiment this time around.

The current spec is:

Sony KDS-70R2000 TV
    Onkyo TX-SR605 7.1 Reciever
    Media Centre with lots of HD material
    Tannoy TS12 Subwoofer
    Mordaunt Short 302 front satellites and 304C centre bolted to bottom of the screen
    Mordaunt Short 903S Bipole rear surrounds

I have already bought an additional set of 903S surrounds to add in as the 'middle' surrounds but want to get this set up as ideally as possible. The 304C is slung pretty low under the TV, angled slightly upwards and the front 302's are at about 3.5-4ft up if memory serves in order to clear furniture etc (http://www.ftaclan.net/clanftp/nick/misc/kds70r2000/IMG_0411.jpg). The current 903S bipoles are mounted high at about 7ft and deep in to the corners as housemate/landlord wanted them mounted out of the way. I would want to mount the new 'mid' surrounds at the same height for some symmetry

I was going to take my time with this but with our new bling motorized sofa suite arriving about 2 months earlier than expected (tomorrow) I need to crack on. I have done a picture of the room layout currently, shown below and roughly correct measurement-wise:

[​IMG]

Basically I have 3 questions please:

1. At what point down the room should I put the new extra surround speakers?
    2. Will using another set of bipoles in the middle be ok or should I be using a set of 302's there instead?
    3. As you can see the Tannoy sub sits directly beneath on of the 302 fronts but when I ran the cabling I ran a spare sub out cable to the area shown by the lined sqare by the door. I realise that it is all a case of experimenting and seeing what suits the room best but should I be putting it at the rear instead and going from there or leaving it in the front corner? This does currently make the bass in the back right corner of the room (diagonal) far more powerful than the rest of the room as expected from reading guides.

If anyone feel like taking up the 'paintshop challenge' and putting down where they think the extra speakers should go or can give advice on the rest I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Nick :).

P.S Moving the chairs etc is not an option, only speakers!

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    Which is a shame, as it's the first thing that came into my head :D

I actually think you will be making a mistake going to 7.1 with that layout.
    The rears aren't far enough back as it is and I suspect all you'll end up doing is pushing the sound even further forward, at a guess.

You could try the 903s about 2M off the back wall, it may well work, but you'll have to readjust all the speaker volumes to suit, possibly increasing the fronts a little to compensate.

3. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    You could mount channels 6&7 on the ceiling above the sofa, I've seen this a few times, it works quite well.

4. Mr Footlong

Mr Footlong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Nooo, don't say 7.1 would be bad! ;) The Onkyo has an auto setup facility so I am hoping that it will balance things out fairly well. I have been considering getting a set of 902i's up front but then would feel the need to change the centre to a 905, making it a very tight squeeze for the Skyhd box etc under it. I actually have the currently 903's on wall brackets angled down as much as possible, they aren't just mounte fluch with the wall if that helps at all and would be doing the same thing with the extra set.

I get you, but I think housemate wouldn't want that sadly as it has a fairly attractive Artex ceiling if I remember correctly. I could try to sell it to him but I don't think he would bite.

Thanks so far guys, much appreciated.

P.S again, the pictures/seats aren't mine, so don't go thinking that I have bad taste, I simply cannot boot out all his stuff!! :D

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
    First, assuming your drawing is accurate, I think you need to move your fronts a little more out of the corners, not but but a little, as I've illustrated.

Next, can I assume that the 1.6M x 0.4m indentation at the top of the drawing is a fireplace. That is, could a speaker be mounted above it?

I think given the limits you have for position, you don't have much choice. I think a more important factor is balancing the sound in the speakers. Now, I readily confess I am not a surround sound guy, there are may here that are far more knowledgeable than me. But again, just basic knowledge of speaker placement would indicate what I have shown in my drawing. Naturally, you want the surround speakers mounted up high, and you seem to have done that.

Primitive as it is, what else can you do besides this....

The solid red square in the upper right is the new Front postion. On the lower left, I have simply cut and pasted the existing speaker and sub slightly forward and closer to the TV.

The Red squares seem to be the logical position for the current 5.1 surrounds, and the old red dots on the right are the position of the new 7.1 surrounds.

Does that make sense?

steve/bluewizard
    (who hopes his graphic shows up)

Attached Files:

6. Mr Footlong

Mr Footlong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for taking the time to post that up :). Sadly the housemate is ademant that I cannot really do any relocating of the current speakers but can put the extra surrounds up. The fact that they are bipole means that I don't think the middle surround on the left would work too well in the mini corner for people sitting at the back, which is most of the time. I can mount speakers above the fireplace and was thinking of doing this initially before posting up:

[​IMG]

Regarding the sub, should I spam up a variant of this in the sub forum, or just keep everything in this thread?

Thanks guys :).

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    moved to the room acoustics forum.

8. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    Regarding the sub, should I spam up a variant of this in the sub forum, or just keep everything in this thread?

I'd look to answer this one first.
    Although I would suggest leaving the sub level with the fronts as it helps with phase problems.
    Sub placement, as you say, really is all about experimentation position-wise.