Extra slim/thin HDMI cables required

zed4

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Are there any particularly slim HDMI cables, which I can run between the plasterboard and the brickwork? I have a gap of approximately 20mm, I see that most HDMI cables are about 10mm tall, so should be ok, but I’d like to get one that’s as slim as possible. I’ve searched Amazon and have come across a few, but wondered if anyone had specifically tried and recommended any on here.

I could of course just chisel out the entire wall and embed the cable, but I’m hoping I can get away with a hole at the top and bottom of the plasterboard, and feed down a stout wire, then attach and pull up the HDMI cable. Should make the whole job a lot easier!

Many thanks,

Dan

What kind of distance are you running over as the longer the distance the higher the gauge of wire required.

Real Cable Nanotech Ultra Thin HDMI Cable

Thanks for your reply. Not far, just from the amp in the TV cabinet, into a brush plate in the plasterboard, straight up, and then out of another brush plate and straight into the back of the TV. Might get away with 2m, but will probably get 3m to make things easier.

It's the size of the plug that's going to make a difference here, not the thickness of the cable surely?

I've just looked at half a dozen HDMI cables that I have lying around here and none of them have a plug thicker than 10mm. Are you sure you actually have a problem?

On thing I would say is make sure you tightly wrap up the end of the cable before dragging it through the wall. All it takes is one bit of grit in a HDMI plug to render it useless.

I've just looked at half a dozen HDMI cables that I have lying around here and none of them have a plug thicker than 10mm. Are you sure you actually have a problem?

On thing I would say is make sure you tightly wrap up the end of the cable before dragging it through the wall. All it takes is one bit of grit in a HDMI plug to render it useless.

Ok, thanks. The HDMI cables I currently have aren't long enough now that the TV is on the wall, so I needed some new ones anyway. I thought I'd may as well get some as slim as possible to aid getting them through the wall.

That's helpful though, thanks. I may just get standard leads in that case.

I will definitely protect the cable ends!

You don't want to use short cables anyway...hdmi chips in devices have biult in eq expecting cable to be 3m long at least. So short cables can cause more problems...go with 3m.

Thats the mid point or sweet spot. The optimum distance for test purposes,performance falls off if you move up or down from that point.

You should be fine and still within passing specs anywhere from 0.5 meters to 8 meters though.
If you are taking from the spec that there will be operational problems below 3 meters then you are misreading it.

i am talking from experience of distributing products which act as hdmi repeaters and from having to deal with the issues folk have in their systems. I have found that short 0.5m or 1m cables cause many more problems with drop outs and HDMI handshaking than longer cables. I carry 3m £15 from amazon hdmi cables with me specifically to sort out these sorts of issues i come across in the field. Just last week i had a chap with expensive short cables that would show up strange issues on screen of his tv. Swapping cable out to longer one fixed it. I am sure that some systems with 0.5m cables work fine but when the cost for an extra 2m is so small why not save yourself hassle....imho.

'but I’m hoping I can get away with a hole at the top and bottom of the plasterboard, and feed down a stout wire' - be aware that HDMI cables are rather fragile assemblies, too much pull and you can easily rip off the HDMI connector or weaken the cable/connector joint.

If you are 'making good' after any required works remember to plan in a way to replace the HDMI cable should it ever fail at a later date.

Joe

i am talking from experience of distributing products which act as hdmi repeaters and from having to deal with the issues folk have in their systems. I have found that short 0.5m or 1m cables cause many more problems with drop outs and HDMI handshaking than longer cables. I carry 3m £15 from amazon hdmi cables with me specifically to sort out these sorts of issues i come across in the field. Just last week i had a chap with expensive short cables that would show up strange issues on screen of his tv. Swapping cable out to longer one fixed it. I am sure that some systems with 0.5m cables work fine but when the cost for an extra 2m is so small why not save yourself hassle....imho.

Im talking from endless hours bench testing product designs.

Im sure there are many products on the market not up to spec that fail in the field, but there is nothing in the spec or the design that inherently limits the cable length to 3m or more...thats my point.

if its a good product and carrying the proper logo as licensed by hdmi.org, then it should be fine.

0.5 meter cables can be very useful in an av stack in terms of neatness and avoiding cable clutter, there is nothing inherently wrong with them.
As always, there is a chance of faulty or poorly manufactured items, but you cannot extrapolate that back to the specification and make personal experience a general rule.

Yes, sorry I didn't make it clear, it's the plug size which I'd like as slim as possible.

Could always get a cable with a mini-HDMI connection on one end and buy a mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter you can just pop back on once the cable is inside the wall, that is what I did and it certainly made feeding the cable through the brush plates easier.

I've got a 7m version of this: SlimHDMI
At only £4 for the 3m cable it is good value as well

Mark.

Are you sure you actually have a clear route? It's not unusual to find noggins on a vertical run behind plasterboard.

All done. Got some right angled ended HDMI cables which fit the TV perfectly. Yes, had a clear run, there was not enough depth for noggins, it was just dot and dab plasterboard.

Cables didn't really have that far to go in the end!!

ImageUploadedByAVForums1448754057.370991.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom