1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extra features on DAPs: Who needs 'em?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Aug 5, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is not a rhetorical question, but seriously, who DOES need many of the extra features that some manufacturers insist on bundling (and, in some cases, bungling!) to convince us to part with the hard-earned folding stuff?

A calender? Games? A clock? A toaster? Why??!! :confused: We value the lives of our batteries enough as it is. Why put on extras like these that encourage us to make more button pushes, access the HDD more often and so run down the cells faster leading to more charges and ultimately, to decreased battery life?

I chose the HD5, in part, because it just plays music. Doesn't do the washing up, take the kids to school or offer to tarmac your front drive. Just plays music. Perfect!

Any thoughts?

2. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I own a Sony HD5 and i dont really like the ipods.. But the "music quiz" game is the best thing since sliced bread..

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that like a 'beat the intro' style game? If so, I'll concede that's kinda cool.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I have never used any of the extras on my iPod. I would rather have more music playing facilities rather than games/calendar/contacts and stuff like that

5. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question, I imagine its all down to sales and marketing.

Personally I do find these feature useful, things such as clocks and schedulers. However not on my mp3 player!!! – My basic Mobile offers these useful features with much more convenience than any I-brick would. This is one reason why love the Sony NW-HD range. - A no fills mp3 player.

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly! Should've mentioned I'm not against extras on my mobile (my Samsung D500 has loads, some of which I even use!), just on DAPs. So yes, the Sony HD range is a great choice for music lovers like me and, presumably, you, HD3!

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Not me! Current HD3, Nokia 6230i, watch and soon to add PSP to this list owner

8. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You could argue it that way. However it's not really arguable when the HD5 has worse sound quality than most players which have the kitchen sink, and isn't as versatile as a music player.

9. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Naturally, dodgy, I respect your opinions from a technical POV, but things like SQ can also be viewed subjectively (I, like many others, find the iPod's sound shockingly lightweight - right headphones or otherwise). And perhaps you'd care to qualify your meanings when you say that:

a) the HD5 has worse sound quality than most players ...

and

b) ... and isn't as versatile as a music player.

Forgive me for seeming a little impertinent here, but I'm just unsure of your reasons for these claims. Some technical veracity, as well as your personal opinion, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance :)