Extra center speaker

christopher101

Hi all, I have a projector projecting to one wall and a TV on another wall, my question is, would it be possible to locate a centre speaker beneath each of them and be able to switch between them depending which one I want to watch.
TIA.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
You could maybe use a speaker switch, but, if the fronts will become rears and vice versa, then when you switch round you would need to re connect all of the speakers to the correct outputs of the AVR, and all of the calibration will need re-doing in terms of levels / distances and room correction.

Most people have the projector screen coming down over the TV.

christopher101

Hello Rambles, Rough outline of the room, the screen we have is self built, there is no way to get a 120inch screen into the room which would mean dropping down to a 100inch screen, which I don't want to do, how would a speaker switcher work and could you recommend one

Attachments

• room.jpg
    room.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 35

christopher101

When I say a 120inch screen won't fit into the room, I mean it won't get through the door. first idea was to get a new screen and have it in front of the Tv but then we did the measurements.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
The Beresford speaker switch is a good one, it would enable you to select between two different centre speakers, but I am not sure that will solve your problem.

What AVR and speakers do you have, and where are the speakers located in the room?

Anthony-Howard

When I say a 120inch screen won't fit into the room, I mean it won't get through the door. first idea was to get a new screen and have it in front of the Tv but then we did the measurements.

You are aware that most screens tend to come disassembled? If screen fits in front of the TV in your picture there should be absolutely no issues in getting one in.

Even a retractable screens casing shouldn't be too much more than screen width which assuming a normal width door should fit with a slight pivot as it is brought into the room. By convenient window if needs be as you have one right where it needs to be.

gibbsy

With that set up you would have to give the TV it's own set up with it's own speakers and not just have a centre. Just having a centre under the TV would put the whole 5.1 completely out of kilter. The obvious answer as has been pointed out would be to put both TV and screen on the same wall. If the TV has to remain in situ then a soundbar may be an option.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Not a good idea, you'll get combing and cancellation effect.
He isn't planning on having them both playing at the same time!

christopher101

Definitely not both playing at the same time, if you look at the room layout and where the door is, a 120 inch screen won't get round the corner, the screen in itself would but the casing adds another 11 inches to the width, it just won't fit, I have thought about the window but being on the first floor that would be a problem too, I'm going to go with a second 5.1 system for the Tv, that seems to be the easiest solution, thanks for taking the time guys, much appreciated.

Anthony-Howard

Well you can do better than 11 inches. I don't wish to be funny mate but you are aware that we live in a three dimensional world? If your door is a standard width and the wall with the TV is at least 131 inches then unless your ceiling only accommodates the Borrowers when standing up straight then it will easily fit.

As for the first floor then all you need is 2 friends and a ladder. Screens aren't that heavy. I would suggest that if you have enough money to buy 2 decent 5.1 systems that 1 even more decent 5.1 system would be a better long term solution than just spending your way out of a few minutes worth of effort.

Enjoy whatever you choose to do in the end.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom