1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Externally bi-amping the AVR300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by cendres, Aug 30, 2004.

1. cendres

cendres

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am currently using the AVR300's bi-amp feature to power my main speakers. I would like to add a P7 amp. Does the bi-amp functionality remain when using the pre-outs and sending signal to an external amplifier?

Thanks for any help,
    Chris

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Chris,

I'm not sure I quite understand what you are asking but I will explain how you would set it up with a P7 and perhaps that will answer your question.

Leave the Biamp option under EX settings and attach the P7 to the pre amp outputs. You will then have two amplifers available for each channel one in the AVR300 and one on the P7. You will get the Left and Right signals on both the front and surround back preamp outputs.

The P7 is a THX specified amplifer so does not have the same gain as standard ARCAM amplifers i.e those in the AVR300. This means that the best way to use this system would be to use the AVR300 just as a processor preamp and use the P7 as the power amplifer. If you want to use two of the P7 amplifers to biamp your front channels you can use the preamp outpus for the surround back channels.

If you want to biamp all channels using the amplifers inside the AVR300 and external amps you will need to use ARCAM gain amplifers (Basically any of our other amplifers including the P1 will work, the P35 would be an ideal choice).

I hope this helps if it has not answered your question just clarify what you want to know.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I think he is asking about tri-amping.

ie, using the biamp facility in the 300 'and' if possible use the pre outs to feed another power amp for whatever purpose.

4. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    OK Guy, thanks. If you want to triamp you will need to use another ARCAM amplifer not a P7 as the gain of the P7 is THX and does not match the AVR300. (You could get a gain box for for every output and use a P7 but that would be very complicated and unlikely to sound that good). If you want to triamp I would recomend either P90 or P35 or if you want loads of power P1 (but that really is an expensive route).

Regards,
    Andrew

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    .....and if he's spending that much, then he may aswell buy an AV8 and do it properley!!!:)

6. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tried it with a HK five channel final feeding the bass sections of my speakers but the sound was fuzzy and not rock steady, even after I carefully matched the gains.
    Could be the HK wasn't really that good (120WPC)...
    So I'm back to biamping the fronts bass with a Rotel RB-981 2-ch final, leaving the Back Centers intact for 7.1 mode, and to tell you the truth I'm happy with the stereo sound, the improvement over non-biamping is truly remarkable, my wife says she can hear me purring over the music!
    Barend :clap:

7. cendres

cendres

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,

No, I meant bi-amping. My intention is to continue to use the 300 only as a 5.1 processor. Will it allow me to use the sixth and seventh channels of the P7 to drive the mains in a bi-amp configuration? The internal amps would go unused.

An AV8 certainly would be nice, but at more than double the cost of the AVR300, it's not in the cards. I either have to do it this way with Arcam equipment, or do something else entirely. It sure would be nice if Arcam could come up with a home theater offering somewhere between these two products.

8. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A 7.1 PLIIx/DTS-ES integrated amp with 200 WPC or so in the $4K US range would be cool. The tuner section in the AVR300 is good, but frankly I don't use it, so an integrated would fir the bill for me. But I wouldn't mind more amp for my power loving Dynaudios x7 (although the AVR300 gets them pretty loud).

OTOH: I can't buy it anyway. My wife is already losing patience with me, and I'm talking about switching my DV88+/504 to a DV79.

Dean

9. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    If you want to use a P7 to do all the amplification. Then leave your AVR300 set up as it is now and simply attach the P7 to the pre amp outputs. Surround back left and surround back right will have left and right on them to allow you to biamp the front speakers.

Andrew

10. cendres

cendres

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Andrew!

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Cendres, how do you find the 300 as purely a processor?

You're thinking along the same lines as me, how good is it compared to an AV8?

12. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This can only be done for the fronts, AFAIK you cannot biamp other speakers with spare channels, since you cannot assign the inputs, and the volume won't be followed.
    Barend

13. cendres

cendres

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I am thinking only of doing this with the fronts, as they are the only ones that need it (N802's).