• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

External USB Sound card and general set up help

Captain Silver

Standard Member
Hi,

Just to say I know there are a lot of similar threads to this which I have trawled through but none help me that specifically!

I've recently upgraded from my Cyruslink Linkcentre 2.1 speakers which I was running out of my laptop through a Creative Xmod. I've just gone and bought a Marantz PM6002 amplifier and a pair of Mordaunt Short Aviano 1 speakers. I listen to music almost exclusively through my computer and I simply want to know the best way to get decent sound quality from my laptop (so an internal sound card not really feasible) to my amp.

Bearing in mind I'm a student and money is tight, I was thinking of getting a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi 5.1 (Creative Labs Online Store (UK) | Sound Blaster | Buy Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1) and either using its on board DAC and running straight from the RCAs to the Amp or using it's optical out to a Beresford DAC and then to the amp. Also, the majority of my music is in compressed mp3 form, the Creative's 'X-Fi Crystalizer' apparently fills in frequencies lost in compression and basically restores the quality somewhat. I don't know if this is just a gimmick or genuinely useful.

I must stress that money is very tight and I'll have an absolute maximum of £200 to spend on the solution, ideally a lot less.

Absolutely any suggestions, within the parameters of my current thoughts or completely new ones, would be very gratefully received.

Will

EDIT: Just looked some more and see that Beresford TC-7520 has a USB input. The Question really is then, are my amp and speakers sufficiently good that I would be doing them a disservice by going for the Creative rather than the Beresford?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom