External TV speaker controlled by TV remote

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by bib1, Aug 26, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bib1

bib1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie alert! :hiya:

Is there a way to add a speaker to my TV and have it's volume controlled by the TV remote?

I want to avoid a universal remote - the main user of the TV is recovering from a stroke and I don't want to confuse her with a new remote control.

TV is a Samsung LE37R8 - it has Left/Right RCA o/p that is at a fixed level.
    It also has a headphone socket that is controlled by the TV remote.

If I connect an amp and speaker to the RCA sockets, the TV remote won't control the volume.

Is there an amp that will accept the variable input from the headphone socket and 'pass' it on to the speaker?

I'm not looking for cutting-edge, just clear speech (my 'user' was happier with her old Sony CRT that combined left/right into a single forward-facing speaker).

2. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    This should be very simple just connect something to the headphone output. This will probably totally mute the sound from the TV unless there is a menu to allow you to do both at the same time. Then connect this lead to your amplifier any amplifier and speakers will do. But the better the quality, the better the sound quality if it has a mono switch on it. You could switch it to mono.

You could also plug active speakers like computer speakers into this output again the sound would be dependent upon the quality of the speakers.

They say they prefer mono. This may be because that is what they are used to. If you had a surround sound system you may be able to boost the dialogue channel, even if it was just in ProLogic, which may make things better. Just an idea. Hope this did not sound too complicated, just post any more questions.

3. bib1

bib1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response :thumbsup:
    I've got a big old amp gathering dust in the garage and some half-decent speakers.
    I'll give it a try before buying something better (and smaller).
    Thanks again.

4. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Thread moved

Curly