External Telephone Extension Lead

supahoops

Novice Member
Hi guys

Wondering if one of you can help, basically im looking to run a telephone extension lead from the socket in the living room near the window up to the ceiling outside up the front of the house and back in to my bedroom (directly above the living room).

If i do the cable run indoors it is just too long what with all the door frames etc

Can anyone recommend a good external telephone extension lead as all the ones ive found seem to be indoor only or can i just use one of these? Does it have enough protection from outdoor weather etc?

Any advice appreciated and thx in advance :smashin:

Per156GTA

Try somewhere like Maplin. I think they sell external phone cable - you will need to put the plugs on yourself, but they'll need to be off anyhow to get the cable through the wall. If you've not done it before, just make sure the connections to coloured wires matches the existing colours - i.e. if one of the wires used is blue/white and the other is orange/white, make sure you use these same coloured wires in the new cable as well - makes it easier.

The external phone cable I have is grey and about 3mm in diameter.

Hope this helps?

supahoops

Novice Member
Try somewhere like Maplin. I think they sell external phone cable - you will need to put the plugs on yourself, but they'll need to be off anyhow to get the cable through the wall. If you've not done it before, just make sure the connections to coloured wires matches the existing colours - i.e. if one of the wires used is blue/white and the other is orange/white, make sure you use these same coloured wires in the new cable as well - makes it easier.

The external phone cable I have is grey and about 3mm in diameter.

Hope this helps?
Hi Per

I was hoping to not have to work on the wires so in effect i am looking to buy one with the connection already on, effectively just plug in and away you go, i think the connecter that goes in the phone socket isnt that back so hoping to just use the right sized drill bit and then use polyfilla to fill in any gaps.

I guess it could be considered a short cut but i think it is feasible!

rupees_al

Novice Member
except if its made up the hole in the wall will have to be much bigger to get the connector thru...
you can get very easy to use phone termination connectors that you just strip abit of the outer cable off and then push the 4 (still coated) wires into the connector and snap it shut.
they even have colour coded pics on them so you know which goes where...

tmurphy

I had the same problem last year when getting my second Sky+ box installed in the bedroom, it needed an extension to get the Multiroom subscription.

Due to the route from the Master socket to the bedroom I couldn't run it internally, had to go out the wall next to the socket then up the gable wall and into the loft, across the loft then into the main bedroom.

I looked for weeks for external telephone cable but nowhere had any.

Finally decided to be cheeky and followed a BT van around for half an hour until he stopped to do some work, a quick chat and the exchange of a small quantity of beer tokens and I was the proud owner of 50m of BT's finest external telephone cable, actually the stuff they use from the telegraph poles to the houses!

I had to affix my own connections, but that was quite easy.

Cheers

Tony

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom