External sub amps

surayne

I'm looking for one to power my Kef PSW3500 that has a fried amp plate. The only one I can seem to find is the XTZ Sub Amp 1... are there any others out there?
I'll need something that would provide around 300W into 4 ohms. £200 is the upper limit of my budget, but I'd prefer to spend less. I'd rather not have a plate amp, so the BK stuff isn't an option.

surayne

I've seen the BK modules, and had a look at the Hypex stuff as well. It's an interesting idea, but the cost will probably come up to around £200 anyway, and I wouldn't have the benefit of a warranty. I'm open to the idea of a pro amp, but I've struggled to find a pro amp with similar performance for less money - any ideas?

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
I'm open to the idea of a pro amp, but I've struggled to find a pro amp with similar performance for less money - any ideas?
WHAT :eek:

My EP4000 amp cost me £180 and delivers 2 channels @ 950 watts. It would be to powerful for your sub really, but you get the idea :smashin:

surayne

Hmm looking online for the EP4000, 2000 or 1500, they all seem to go for around £250 +. Where did you get a deal on it?

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
I got a bit lucky as a reward for a bit of patience and effort searching. While your amp isnt decided, just look around and keep an eye out in the usual places and they do come up from time to time.

One thing of note though, is that most po amps use fans to cools them, and the one in the ep series is quite loud as well, just so you know. There is a mod you can do which is fine as long as you dont plane to run loads heavier than 4 ohms.

surayne

Ah yes, I've read about the fan issue. To be honest, with the minimal price difference between the pro amps and the XTZ, I'm probably going to go for the XTZ - with the high-level inputs I could play around with 2.1 for my stereo setup too.

Thanks for your suggestions.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom