External Speaker recommendation for MacBook Pro

interbear

So I have a 16 inch MacBook Pro which has excellent integral speakers. However, I'm forced to use it in clamshell mode to avoid excessive heat and fan noise when connected to an external monitor. So I'm on the look out for a decent set of stereo speakers that I can connect to the MBP.

Required for MS Teams video conference calls, listening to videos, music etc. I tried the speakers built in to my Philips monitor. Not good enough quality. I tried Airplay to a HomePod in my home office. Seemed to struggle with lip sync and connectivity for some reason. So I think I need speakers that connect directly to the MBP via the headphone port or USB-C, rather than bluetooth.

So far the Creative Pebble V2 (USB-C powered) seem like a reasonable budget option (£27). At the other end of my budget scale I've seen the Bose Companion 20s (£199) which seems to have been around forever. Does anyone have experience of using either of these with their MBP? Or, any other recommendations within this budget range?

Thanks in advance.

interbear

I decided to go with the Bose Companion 20s. Just set them up and very pleased with the results. Nice clear sound which should be good for conference calls, music etc. “And so it should be for the price” I said to myself :) I know Bose pricing is probably higher than justified but for decent quality sound from my laptop, these appear to be a very good choice in my limited usage so far. The control pod for volume, mute and to connect headphones is also a really nice feature.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom