1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Pioneer 107 dvd writer

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by lcarter, Mar 14, 2004.

1. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Want to buy an external pioneer 107 dvd writer have found it for £134.99 at svp.co.uk anyone know where I can get it cheaper?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Ta :hiya:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    D.I.Y!

You should be able to get the 107 (internal) for between £70 & £80. Buy an external USB2.0 &/or firewire case for £30 - £40 and stick the drive in there yourself. This is all svp are doing and then charging you a premium for the service.

Mark.

3. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark

I didn't know that - will look into it - is it easy to do as am a bit of a novice

4. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have a search for external hard drive and dvd drive on the forum.

I have mentioned a superb piece of kit that lets you use any IDE drive through a USB2 connection. It comes with its own power supply and doesn't need any setting up for use with Win XP

Can be bought here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43759

I have it hooked upto an internal Pioneer 106 drive and the drive works fine in an external environment. i also use it to connect an old 27gb HDD for extra storage as i only have a laptop.

Hope this is of help

5. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    one thing i would add, is buy a USB extension cable if you get this adapter as the lead is only ~20cm long!

Also, appears that USB2 doesn't require any different cables from USB1 (someone please correct me if i'm wrong) so the leads are dirt cheap to pick up (ebay 3m ~£4)

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    If you buy the external case all you do is take the lid off it and plug the DVD writer in exactly the same as you would if plugging it directly in on the PC. The external case is then connected directly to the PC (or via a hub) via USB2.0 or firewire with a single lead the same as for a printer, scanner, digicam etc.
    I know I've done this type of thing 101 times before, but the cables will only plug into the correct socket and will only go one way around. Therefore I don't think it will cause any problems for you. The external cases should be supplied with full instructions to take you through step by step.
    If you do have any problems then just ask on the forum as many others have already set up external DVD/HDD.

Mark.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I've just had a quick look at the link posted by monkeynuts and although it isn't a case it will be a cheaper way of connecting an internal device externally - and should be just as simple, if not more so. It just wont look as nice.

External case: http://www.lynxdv.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=44 £39.95

Pioneer 107: http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/storage/productView.htm?quicklinx=30QL £80

Do a bit of hunting around and you should be able to get lower prices than the above.

Mark.

8. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Your dead right, it doesn't look as pretty but if you put the drive out the way on a shelf using an extention USB cable no one would ever know and you've saved enough money to buy a 25 pack of decent ritek04 dye dvd-rs!!

Spending is all about justification.....