1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External PCI Grphics Upgrade? - Can it be done?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by General Skanky, Jul 28, 2005.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have a Dell Inspiron 8200.

I know I can buy a port replicator for a Latitude on EBay, flash my Inspiron Bios, force it to accept it, and use the spare pci slots in the replicator to add a new graphics card.

Can I instead, add an external box of some other kind to which I can add a graphics card, hence upgrading the card in my notebook, and connect by firewire say?

I'd rather not flash my bios to a Latitude, and a new pc is on the cards too, but I want to max this one out to the extreme and beyond as it has a lot of life in it.

2. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    What your suggesting with the flashing a BIOS and using a GFX card in an expansion port something i've never heard of before.

Flashing the BIOS on a laptop is a good thing (if done correctly - read the docs!) as it helps with performance and bug fixes. I would strongly suggest you investigate the source that said you can force it to use an expansion port gfx card. Whilst i've never heard of this, it by no means, does not exist. You will also need to investigate what happens when the laptop is not in the docking station and powered up.

As for firewire gfx cards, im too long in the tooth and experienced to dismiss it with laughter but, i doubt very much they are around. Even if they are, the performance would be .... er ... well, poor at best. I'd be stunned if the bandwidth of even Firewire 800 would be fast enough to allow anything good enough (good res and lots of bitplanes), not to mention any rendering requirements that would be required.

Don't be afraid to flash the bios in any pc, just be sure that you get the correct bios for your mobo or make/model and that you read the instructions and follow them exactly.

Re:external gfx cards - I'm gona follow this with interest as many people make for light research!

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    you've got me interested too!!

I went for an external soundcard to use with the laptop, an external VGA would be awesome!! death to HTPC if we find one anywhere!!

not looking good so far though... the best I've found is this

( not really what we are looking for.....:rotfl: )

4. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Sound is sooo much lighter than gfx. The ear is no where as detailed as the eye. Look at the throughput for that card, 40/50MBits a second and by the reviews admission it suits a "niche market".

Firewire 800 has been out for a while now, if anything can do it external ... IF at all, that can. Compared to sound though, its like a fat male sumo on your tv compared to Olive Oil (the sound equiv) and Olive is the best were gona get :rotfl: