External monitor on 15" MacBook Pro

peshi

Standard Member
Just bought a LG 24" Monitor.
Connected via DVI to My MacBook Pro (2 years old)

Both screens are on, but I only want the new screen on, don't want to share screen.

How do I do it?

Actually I've just sussed out how to more the menu bar across.
Did it in settings but just found out F7 does it. (Simply when you know how)

I know I can dim it until off. But how do i turn MacBook screen off?

D

Deleted member 27989

I just connect my MBP with my 30" screen with the MBP lid closed....One little click on the mouse or keyboard and everything springs to life on the big screen...

D

Deleted member 27989

I turn off the sleep mode then and try that.

No need to turn off sleep, sleep is on with mine as well...Just don't switch it off as otherwise you can't reach the button to switch it on :D

jezzery

Standard Member
I just connect my MBP with my 30" screen with the MBP lid closed....One little click on the mouse or keyboard and everything springs to life on the big screen...

You would also have to have an external keyboard though - by the way, can you see your screen come on under the closed lid. Was looking into buying a full keyboard for my MBP and wondered if you could do this.

D

Deleted member 27989

You would also have to have an external keyboard though - by the way, can you see your screen come on under the closed lid. Was looking into buying a full keyboard for my MBP and wondered if you could do this.

True but surely with an external monitor you wouldn't use the MBP keyboard anyway? That would be killing your back as either the Monitor is too high, or you sit twisted....

I just use an Apple bluetooth keyboard and wireless mighty mouse....Don't like wires :D

jezzery

Standard Member
True but surely with an external monitor you wouldn't use the MBP keyboard anyway? That would be killing your back as either the Monitor is too high, or you sit twisted....

I just use an Apple bluetooth keyboard and wireless mighty mouse....Don't like wires :D

I have my external monitor slightly elevated above my macbook pro and it doesn't seem to high. Maybe I am giving myself a bad back - not noticed it yet. Maybe i'll gradually turn into the hunchback on the mac:eek:

Seriously though - any pointers on where to get the bluetooth keyboard from other than Apple prices - ebay I suppose

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 27989

yes ebay.....health and safety standards dictate that your eyes should be at the top of the Monitor when drawing a straight line...

peshi

Standard Member
I must get a external keyboard with number pad.

If I close my screen it shuts down every thing (sleep mode)

I'm just dimming the MBP at the mo.

Think I will have to get a Mac Mini
Hopefully the new ones will be out soon.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom