External monitor not detecting laptop VGA signal from D-SUB

ozgazl

Standard Member
External monitor not detecting VGA signal from D-SUB.

This is a strange one!

I use an external 22" LG M228WD Tv/Monitor to watch movies etc. I use a 15 pin VGA cable to connect the both up and normally press FN + F4 to activate the external monitor.

I have 2 laptops. Both are Compaq Presarios; a M2217 model and a V2000 model. I used to use the M2217 laptop connected to the external monitor to watch movies until it stop working one day. FN + F4 looks like it switches ok when pressed but nothing appears on the external monitor... the monitor still stays in standby as if it isn't receiving the signal from the laptop through the VGA cable.

I knew the issue wasn't the cable or the external monitor as I connected up the V2000 laptop and it worked perfect, screen loaded fine when switched using the FN + F4 sequence.

NOW, 3 months later... this is not working for the V2000 laptop. I tried the other laptop as well and it still doesnt work.

What can it be? Is there another hidden switch or sequence that needs to be used to fix this?!

I have rebuilt my laptop, checked the settings in the BIOS, changed the resolution down and up, changed refresh rate, changed the color bit, also tested extended my desktop to the external monitor and rebooting all to no avail.

To me, in very simple thinking, it is like my 200 credits have ran out like I have used it 200 times to connect up and now that has expired?! Sounds a bit daft I know, but is there any logic behind that?

I have also messed about with rolling back display drivers and updating to the newest etc but can't figure this out for the life of me.

I really like problem solving, but having trawled through google searches and forums on this site I cannot find anything related to this issue?

I need some expert professional help, ideas, tips or advice... this really has perplexed me!!

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help!

Cheers
Gary :confused:

Lucian

Standard Member
I have the exact same problem as described above.

I have a Dell XPS M1210 laptop running Windows Vista Business x64. I have been using it together with an external monitor in the extended desktop configuration for quite a while, then all of a sudden it just stopped working. Anything I did after that didn't solve the problem.

I tried reinstalling drivers, then reinstalling windows and still nothing.

I don't get it. Why is it behaving like this?

What is very weird is that the external monitor goes in standby while being connected.

If anyone has any ideas or managed to solve this problem please share the solution because Dell is quite useless.

Cheers,

Lucian

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom