1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Microphones please help!!!! :D

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by lokimus, Jun 24, 2005.

1. lokimus

lokimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey there guys, just been browsing your forums and i was wondering if anyone knew anything about external mics. i have a Sony DCR-HC18E mini dv camera and i was wondering what kind of external mic i should get for it. well i was wondering what mics would be compatable with this. i have looked up some stuff about mics and it says info about different kinds of Shoes or something? can anyone help me out?

thanks

Lokimus

2. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi Lokimus, sorry I'm no help with your query, & I don't mean to spoil the thread........... I was just wondering what you thought of your camcorder. I'm in the market for one, & one like yours may be within striking distance. I wanted to hear from a satisfied owner before making a leap.

3. lokimus

lokimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah right well, i think mine has been discontinued well amazon says it has you could try ebay but yeh i have to say its a brill cam, it has served me well, i use vegas editing software with it which is also brill stuff, erm the batt like is slightly annoying when you have the LCD screen open but apart from that amazing, oh and mine tends to need the cleaning tape alot but thats most likely because i use it in the woodland and the downs alot but yeh its worth buying.

4. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Cheers, I'm a Sony fan, & thinking of getting a camcorder. Canon - I consider a reputable camera manufacturer seem unloved in camcorders. I just wanted to hear from some Sony camcorder owners to convince me they're ok. As I said sorry I cant help with original question. Thanks.

5. lokimus

lokimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its ok, hopefully someone can help:D well i hope you get a sony cam there really are good.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well I've just had a search on the specs for your camcorder on the Sony web site and it states the following:

Jacks
    Audio In: NO

which means that you can't connect an external mic to this camcorder :(

full specs of the cam can be found Here

Mark.

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Looking at the manual which you can get from here, for the HC18E

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/manuals/manuals.asp?l=en

Page 101, item 13 is external MIC input. (Note, for some reason the manual is only in Italian and Greek, I don't speak either, but I believe "microfono esterno" is "external microphone".

Now, having been given some birthday money by my in-laws, I'm looking to get a external mic myself. There are loads of different types of mics, depending what you want to do. For instance if you are filming interviews, you might want a mic the subject can attach to their lapel.

If you want something mounted on the camcorder, probably a "shotgun" mic is best; this is what I am looking at. They are directional, so they will pick up (more) of what the camcorder is pointed at; little to the side or behind. This is useful for general use, and should be better than the built in mic (which are generally considered to be poor by audio experts).

I'm thinking of the Rode VideoMic; a review here:
    http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/articles/Rode_VideoMic.htm
    Cheapest I've found is £82, delivered.

I value the opinion of the review author; he's an expert video editor and has done a lot of audio work. I own one of his books...

In terms of "shoes" - the shoe is that little bracket on the top, where you can attach a light or a microphone mount. The mic above will work on any camcorder with that standard "shoe". Some require special power or connection from the shoe and will only work with a certain model.

Mark

8. lokimus

lokimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah ok thanxs guys. Well Mark E19 on my cam there is a port saying (plug in power) and then under that it says mic so im not sure if this is the 'shoe' or wot? any ideas lol

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    That one that says "plug in power" is the microphone connection. On my Sony PC-9 it says the same.

The "shoe" is the bracket on the top.

By the way I bought the Rode Videomic and am very happy with it.

Mark (the other one)

10. lokimus

lokimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    From looking at the manual (in Italian), yes.
    To be 100% sure I'd take your camcorder into some shops and try a microphone out.

Mark

12. lokimus

lokimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah ok cheers!