External Mic

niccam

Standard Member
Hi I asked your advice some months ago about wireless mics and I was set on getting one for my camcorder, but after your advice, found that any
I was after was too expensive and have now setted for a shotgun mic which you also advised Thank you.
I have narrowed it down to 3 makes [unless you can suggest anything]
Sennheiser MKE300
Rode Videomic
Audio Techinca ATR55
The first 2 was advised but need to know which one is more suited for what I need. Anybody with these mics please could you tell of their performance. There is alot of data spec on these mics but it means nothing to me and I don't know what data spec is best for my application

Need it for picking up the vows of the happy couple as I'm quite happy with the audio during the day of the onboard mic on my XM2. Thanks again as I'm about to purchase

redsox_mark

Novice Member
I have the Rode Videomic and it's excellent. Also excellent value, comes complete with shockmount.

I haven't used the others so can't compare.

niccam

Standard Member
thanks redsox_mark. How do you find it as in picking out audio from a distance [ the couple for example]
and if in a school hall for example does it cut out the audience to the side but pick up whats on stage and finally if you where pointing at somebody on stage will it still pick out the rest of the stage Thanks in advance

senu

Distinguished Member
Another vote for Rode here:smashin:

My experience is that it will be a lot more focused on what it is "facing" but that would depend on distance to subject too.
One way to monitor its pickup is to use headphones while using it ( in fact this equally applies to built in mics)

redsox_mark

Novice Member
thanks redsox_mark. How do you find it as in picking out audio from a distance [ the couple for example]
and if in a school hall for example does it cut out the audience to the side but pick up whats on stage and finally if you where pointing at somebody on stage will it still pick out the rest of the stage Thanks in advance
I use it in a school hall (I am the official videographer for my kids primary school), and it works well. It will pick up all of the stage, but stronger from where it is pointing. I'm generally about 20 feet from the stage.

Even with the best shotgun it will be better the closer you can get to the subject.

niccam

Standard Member
Thanks redsox_mark and senu I will go for the Rode Videomic but before I go how do you fair with the battery 100 hours? and when low battery light shows how long do you have before it cuts out. Thank you

redsox_mark

Novice Member
The Rode runs a long time on a standard 9 volt battery. I'm pretty sure I'm still on my first battery.....I'd expect it will last long enough after the warning light comes on for you to find a break and change the battery.

senu

Distinguished Member
... before I go how do you fair with the battery 100 hours? and when low battery light shows how long do you have before it cuts out. Thank you
I've not really used up my very first battery ..yet Im sure Ive done close to .. 60-70 hrs on / off. But I changed it for fear I would run out of power only to find the original battery still kept going
I certainly change the batteries in my DSLR flash gun rather more frequently

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom