External media player or HDD into PS3

mansy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Been contemplating purchasing a Cyclone (or similar) media player to put all my music/DVD's, etc on so that I can make some room (got 100's of CD's and DVD's). However, seeing as the PS3 can also be used as a media player I thought I could perhaps just buy an external HDD (1TB), copy all the stuff onto there and just access that directly from the PS3. Is this worth doing? Are there any issues with this setup? I tried streaming a film wirelessly from my PC, but it's useless, just stutters.
Also, what software is good for copying DVD's (not too worried about all the extras, just want to play the films as and when.
Are there any issues with the 4Gb streaming limit if the PS3 is accessing the HDD directly via the USB port?

:lease:

I'd have a read of the media guide to answer some of your streaming queries (link in my sig below).

If you were thinking of purchasing a dedicated streamer, then I would go ahead and get one, it'll save you more hassle in the long run, you have no HDD formatting issues to deal with, it'll play everything, plus they're only about £20, but the PS3 can turn into just as good a streamer, can just take a bit of effort sometimes.

Use DVDShrink for DVDs.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom