External Lightscribe DL DVD-RW

Reaction score
Hi i have a imac which can burn dual layer dvd's, but now im making movies i would like to have pictures on the face of my dvd's, sometimes i burn my movies on DL DVD's for higher quality. Anyway i need to get a good cheap external DL Lightscribe DVD-RW to burn these movies on

Is there any difference between different lightscribe dvd rewriters? Which is a good deal i can get, preferably under £50.
Thanks

Hi i have a imac which can burn dual layer dvd's, but now im making movies i would like to have pictures on the face of my dvd's, sometimes i burn my movies on DL DVD's for higher quality. Anyway i need to get a good cheap external DL Lightscribe DVD-RW to burn these movies on

Is there any difference between different lightscribe dvd rewriters? Which is a good deal i can get, preferably under £50.
Thanks
Unfortunately, I don't think lightscribe is a good idea here (since you want pictures). I would recommend a nice dvd printer and some good quality printables. Verbatim or TY.

I agree with Thomp. Lightscribe can look good to begin with (remember its monochrome as well) but i've heard the actual image doesn't hold up well to not being hidden in a dark CD wallet. (anyone who has one and and wants to correct me please do) I'd spend your £50 and get a good CD printer, I'm an Epson fan but i've never had anything else Epson Stylus Photo R285 - Printer - colour - ink-jet - Legal, A4 - 5760 dpi x 1440 dpi - up to 37 ppm (mono) / up to 38 ppm (colour) - capacity: 120 sheets - USB - Ebuyer would be the kind of thing you're looking for but you'd probably be able to get one cheaper off of Ebay or somewhere similar. I will warn you though that official epson cartridges could set you back as much as £40-50 but you should be able to print off a fair few CD/DVDs per cartridge and you can get compatibles that are much much cheaper but you get what you pay for.

This is who i usually get my DVDs/CDs from SVP: DVD-R & CDR - Blank Media: Reviews and Advice and they're pretty good, excellent customer service and pretty quick to deliver and they have a range of different brands of DVD DL.

KustomPCs.co.uk - PressIt Spray Fix 400ml I'd also recommend some of this to seal the image on the printed CD to prevent smudging etc.

Finally...Verbatim are the only people who are currently making DVD-DL that are lightscribe LightScribe - Support so you could either have problems finding them or be paying over the odds for them.

Hope that helps.

thanks for your help, but im looking for a lightscribe because i used to have one of those cd label printers and it would never get on the cd properly and also in the long run costs too much money.

I've got an epson R300 and it's a doddle to print onto any CD's or DVD's from home movies - you put the disc into the supplied tray then load it into the printer. The included software lines it all up. It can take any image or design you fancy

I do have a lightscribe drive but haven't actually bothered using it yet

Cost wise the official cartridges are daylight robbery but you can pick up a full set for approx £10 from a 3rd party

I would suggest not getting printable labels. The labels tend to lift after time with heat and spinning and cause havok to lasers especially on high-end players.

Lightscribe at least are part of the disc, however their problem is that the media is limited - I have yet to see a DL dvd and the HP media I have used is not as good as some other non-lightscribe media. In other words it is a compromise.

I have an Epson Stylus Photo RX650 All-in-One Printer.
It has a Disc Tray to print DVD's, but I have never used it.
To date used printed paper labels with all the problems associated with them.
I have a Lightscribe DVD Writer in the computer.
Reading the problems with the Lightscribe Printing method, it seems the Disc Tray Printer route may be a lot better.
Is that True ??
If affirmative, what type of disc do I need to buy?
At the moment I use DVD+RW types.
Your comments would be appreciated.

Hi Aet3,

I have not touched a paper label since getting my CD printer. Getting the print spot on with paper is very difficult for full face printing and much much easier with the CD tray. All you need to buy is media that says "printable" on it. If you still have loads of labels left what you can do is just stick them on the CD first then use the tray and you'll get a much better aligned print but the quality difference between labels and printable media (CD/DVD) will make you very pleased you switched.

You probably can't get printable DVD+RWs (which are rewritable) but you should just get a spindle of DVD+Rs which are write once for relatively cheap SVP Communications HOME > Blank DVDR Media > DVD+R Printable is where i get all my media from. Verbatim are a good brand to buy and that website sells 50 full face for £12.

Simply you can't get full colour with lightscribe and i've heard that the print doesn't last as long so I'd go printable CD.

Thank you to you ALL for all your advice.
I will purchase some "Printables" and see how I get on.
cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom