External HDD vs Internal HDD with enclosure?

drunkenmaster

Novice Member
I just cant believe how quick my 500MB drive is filling up and am getting errors of low memory space!!

Well I have been ploughing through the threads and umming and aahing about wether to buy buy a an external hdd or buy an internal drive and buy an enclosure.

My question is which is better and more reliable and less aggro setting up with win xp. Any pros and cons for either would be appreciated - many thanks

DJACID

Novice Member
only con of internal drive is you can move it about,

external then usb2 limits you to 480mbps plus even less depending on how many usb ports you have,
firewire 400mbps or 800mbps, really good choice,
last option is esata......

it all depends on the connections you have on your pc,
and also if you tend to move the drive around or not....

my mate was after a external drive so i found a good deal on 2 hard drives of gumtree and bought a external firewire enclosure of ebay,
this all set me back what a WD sells for at PC world,

put one drive into her pc and the other into the external enclosure...

mnh01

Standard Member
i think it really depends on your need and how you want to use the data that you have.

i have a laptop and an external 1tb WD and things just keep growing. this does not include all the animes that i have burnt in DVD. and the space it took is just ridiculous.

i get 4 1.5tb (also from gumtree. i wonder if we bought from the same supplier) and an esata Easyswap enclosure.

not the best solution but i can always access my data by swapping the drives. save me storage space too as everything is now in just 4hdds

ntm1275

Novice Member
If you are looking for speed, it has to be eSATA

A hard drive enclosure using eSATA will be as fast as if the hard drive was installed internally

The only problem will be whether you have an eSATA connection in your PC

I have an Icy Dock MB559, and this comes with it's own PSU and a special bracket to connect all the cables directly in to a spare SATA connection on the motherboard, it also has USB connections as well

They also do an optional 'Power Bracket' which also draws power directly from the internal PC's PSU along with connecting to a spare SATA connection on the motherboard

If you need further expansion, you can buy extra trays and just pull out one and plug in another

Or if you need serious expansion you could go for their 4 bay model, and the trays are interchangeable between the two models

When first plugged in, you just need to go to Disk Management and assign it a drive letter for eSATA, but USB is PnP

Last edited:

arthurleung

Novice Member
I just cant believe how quick my 500MB drive is filling up and am getting errors of low memory space!!

Well I have been ploughing through the threads and umming and aahing about wether to buy buy a an external hdd or buy an internal drive and buy an enclosure.

My question is which is better and more reliable and less aggro setting up with win xp. Any pros and cons for either would be appreciated - many thanks

Price wise it is usually cheaper to buy a drive that is external to start with.
It appears that you only need the drive for storing data so USB speed should handle your requirement fine.

Using eSATA on Windows XP could cause trouble when you connect/disconnect the drive. It might cause a blue screen. For maximum compatibility USB is certainly a better choice.

ntm1275

Novice Member
Using eSATA on Windows XP could cause trouble when you connect/disconnect the drive. It might cause a blue screen. For maximum compatibility USB is certainly a better choice.

This will depend on whether you use a seperate PCI/PCIe SATA/eSATA card, and is normally caused by bad drivers, not XP

The Icy Dock I mentioned does not use a seperate card, but plugs directly in to a spare SATA socket on the motherboard
I've been using it on XP and Vista with hot swap for a couple of years with no problems

I've seen plently of USB drives that don't work with XP (not the drive's fault, XP can sometimes 'get confused' by USB)

I had a USB stick that worked fine at first and then one day just stopped working, but worked OK if plugged in to another machine, then 2 months later it started working again on the original machine - strange, very strange

Another option (if you have spare 5.25" drive bay) could be to use a removable internal hard disc caddy, something like this one, which would allow you to swap hard drives without having to dismantle the case

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom