Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

External HDD or DVD-RW for editing?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Shin Gouki, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is best?

Would i get better performance and results with an external HDD eg (Lacie 2D Firewrie) or would i be better off with an external DVD-RW eg (Sony DRX-51OUL).

One has to be external. Which should it be?

2. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Well a DVDRW will only allow you to put videos on to it and then play on DVD or transfer. So once the footage is on a DVDRW you cant edit it unless you transfer it to a hard drive. A DVDRW is basically the same as a CDRW, you can write/erase many times, but anything on there is Read only and can not be edited with out it being transfered to a hard disk/zip disk etc and then burnt back to the DVD.

If you want to edit DV footage on an external device then it has to be a external hard drive. A DVD would be ok if you had converted material you wanted to burn and view, but not edit.

3. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have one internal space for a device and i only want the dvd drive for burning things.

i know that i will get faster transfer with an internal HDD compared to an external firwire one but does the same apply to an internal and external DVD-RW drive?

Will i be better off burning edited DV movies onto an external firewire DVD-RW drive via an internal HDD? or would i be better off burning my footage from an external firwire HDD onto an internal DVD-RW?

Which one of these setups is faster?

EDIT sorry if my first post was misleading. :)

4. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    double post

5. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Seemed a little silly yes :D

Well a DVD burner is only a certain speed, so its probably better to get an external DVD burner. An internal DVD burner can do 8x now for about £100, where as a 4x Sony/Pioneer is less than £70. I think that Sony drive you posted about is £200 and is around 4x(15 mins for a full DVD).

I think that it would be wise getting an external DVD burner as there not really any slower than internal, just more expensive.

6. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that the read and write speeds are'nt any slower, but what about burning from an internal hardrive to an external firewire DVD-RW drive and burning from a External firewire hard drive to an internal DVD-RW drive?

Which setup is faster and which one is best for DV editng and burning to disk?

The questions is.............external HDD or external DVD-RW?

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    TBH I don't think it will make any real difference. Firewire is faster than a DVD-RW or HDD needs to transfer video so both will work externally for editing.
    The way to decide is which of the 2 drives are you more likely to want to use on another PC/Mac/Laptop? If you only have the 1 PC and you have the physical room inside the case for both then why not get a PCI IDE controller that will allow you to add another 4 devices. This might also be the cheaper option although you can get a firewire case for about £40 and a cheap internal DVD-RW or HDD to put in it.

And you thought you only had one simple decision :devil:

Mark.

8. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going for a firewire case and a 106/a06. :clap:

If i don't change my mind, AGAIN. :rolleyes: :laugh: