1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External HDD or DVD-RW for editing?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Shin Gouki, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is best?

Would i get better performance and results with an external HDD eg (Lacie 2D Firewrie) or would i be better off with an external DVD-RW eg (Sony DRX-51OUL).

One has to be external. Which should it be?

2. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Well a DVDRW will only allow you to put videos on to it and then play on DVD or transfer. So once the footage is on a DVDRW you cant edit it unless you transfer it to a hard drive. A DVDRW is basically the same as a CDRW, you can write/erase many times, but anything on there is Read only and can not be edited with out it being transfered to a hard disk/zip disk etc and then burnt back to the DVD.

If you want to edit DV footage on an external device then it has to be a external hard drive. A DVD would be ok if you had converted material you wanted to burn and view, but not edit.

3. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have one internal space for a device and i only want the dvd drive for burning things.

i know that i will get faster transfer with an internal HDD compared to an external firwire one but does the same apply to an internal and external DVD-RW drive?

Will i be better off burning edited DV movies onto an external firewire DVD-RW drive via an internal HDD? or would i be better off burning my footage from an external firwire HDD onto an internal DVD-RW?

Which one of these setups is faster?

EDIT sorry if my first post was misleading. :)

4. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    double post

5. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Seemed a little silly yes :D

Well a DVD burner is only a certain speed, so its probably better to get an external DVD burner. An internal DVD burner can do 8x now for about £100, where as a 4x Sony/Pioneer is less than £70. I think that Sony drive you posted about is £200 and is around 4x(15 mins for a full DVD).

I think that it would be wise getting an external DVD burner as there not really any slower than internal, just more expensive.

6. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that the read and write speeds are'nt any slower, but what about burning from an internal hardrive to an external firewire DVD-RW drive and burning from a External firewire hard drive to an internal DVD-RW drive?

Which setup is faster and which one is best for DV editng and burning to disk?

The questions is.............external HDD or external DVD-RW?

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    TBH I don't think it will make any real difference. Firewire is faster than a DVD-RW or HDD needs to transfer video so both will work externally for editing.
    The way to decide is which of the 2 drives are you more likely to want to use on another PC/Mac/Laptop? If you only have the 1 PC and you have the physical room inside the case for both then why not get a PCI IDE controller that will allow you to add another 4 devices. This might also be the cheaper option although you can get a firewire case for about £40 and a cheap internal DVD-RW or HDD to put in it.

And you thought you only had one simple decision :devil:

Mark.

8. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going for a firewire case and a 106/a06. :clap:

If i don't change my mind, AGAIN. :rolleyes: :laugh: