External hard drive

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Allan 0789, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Allan 0789

Allan 0789
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an 1TB portable USB hard drive I need to connect it to my USB port on TV rated at 900ma but need a 5 v power supply. I have no point to fit a power supply hence portable can I get a Y cable that will feed the 5v and then the hard drive on second cable then to the TV on third cable

I would appreciate some advise as I only state the above from what my understanding is

Thank you

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    I don't follow what you're trying to say.
    You simply buy a 5V 1A USB power supply and plug it in to the same mains power outlet the TV is plugged into (via a 4way mains adaptor or similar).
    The 5V output from the power supply then plugs into your external HDD.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    I think he wants a 5V power source for something else and is trying to take it off the hard drive to TV connection.

I don't know if it would work or not, USB power draw is negotiated so you might find it drops when the hard drive is sleeping. Hard drives also need most or all of the power a USB port can provide, so it could also cause the hard drive to not work.

If the power lead removable from the back of the TV? That would be a better point to add an extra 5V power supply.