• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

External Hard Drive

aet3

Hi Folks
I want to buy an External Hard Drive for my wife, so she can backup all her files/photos etc.
She has a Toshiba Laptop running Vista Ultimate.
I propose a 500GB external drive or minimum 300GB.
Any suggestions on which one to buy ??
I assume she just attaches it to her Laptop through the USB connection to transfer the files.
Is this done by just copy/paste or dragging to backup files ??
Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Well, there are two different types of External HD's.

You have got the External Desktop HDD which plugs into the mains & the External Portable HDD which doesn't.

I have always used WD = Western Digital as I have never ran into any problems with them.

Here are two I would recommend:

Desktop HDD - Western Digital My Book Essential 500GB External Hard Drive Hi Speed USB - Retail - Ebuyer
Portable HDD - Western Digital My Passport Essential 500GB Portable Hard Drive Hi Speed USB - Retail - Ebuyer

Hope that clears a few things up :D

oldnewbie

Well, there are two different types of External HD's.

You have got the External Desktop HDD which plugs into the mains & the External Portable HDD which doesn't.

I have always used WD = Western Digital as I have never ran into any problems with them.

Here are two I would recommend:

Desktop HDD - Western Digital My Book Essential 500GB External Hard Drive Hi Speed USB - Retail - Ebuyer
Portable HDD - Western Digital My Passport Essential 500GB Portable Hard Drive Hi Speed USB - Retail - Ebuyer

Hope that clears a few things up :D

I would agree with this, I have been using the one in the first link for some time (over a year) and have had no problems whatsoever :smashin:

aet3

Hi - Thank You for your responses, it is greatly appreciated.
I think the Portable route is the way I need to go, as I want minimum cables across the room !!!!
The recommended web site looks good.
Cheers

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Ebuyer is a brilliant site :thumbsup:

With regards to the portable drive, it will be a little slower than the other as it is powered by USB, so if you need to do a lot of copying of big files and want speed then go for the other.

aet3

Thank for the comment re speed.
But, I will still go with the portable, because as I said I do not wany cables across the floor.
After the initial first very large backup, the files should be a reasonable size, also, as we are both retired:
TIME IS OURS !!!!!!!
Cheers.

aet3

Sorry to come back again Folks
But - I read a review of the drive I am contemplating getting ( The 500GB Portable in above threads), and the writer states the problem is that it has a USB Micro Port instead of the normal USB Mini Port.
Is this problematic ??
I assume it will still fit the standard USB Ports on her Laptop ??
As you see we are a bit "green" to all this computering !!!!
Cheers.

benzy

Standard Member
My girlfriend brought one via ebuyer which is a site i useally trust and upon seeing this hard drive was impressed as all it need was a USB wire to power it and transfter files. but it diddnt last long and unable to transfer files. told her to format but she doesnt want to lose these files...i doubt i helped

aet3

Did you discover what caused the error ??
No doubt there are satisfied customer with the same drive having no problems (I hope !!!!).
Cheers.

aet3

Sorry to come back again Folks
But - I read a review of the drive I am contemplating getting ( The 500GB Portable in above threads), and one review writer states the problem is that it has a USB Micro Port instead of the normal USB Mini Port.
Is this problematic ??
I assume it will still fit the standard USB Ports on her Laptop, as this is all she has ??
As you see we are a bit "green" to all this computering !!!!
Cheers

oldnewbie

This is not a problem at all because it comes with a usb cable that will fit the small usb on the hardrive and on the other end of the cable it will be a standard fit, So it will plug into any pc or laptop :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom