jambomakaveli

Finally got fed up with the “I can only really have modern warfare/warzone and Cold War installed and that’s it” problem. Lol.

looked into upgradable storage. I can see that the seagate internal ssd that’s 1TB is £200. That’s crazy. I mean I’d pay it, but then I stumbled across the moving back and forth solution.

I’m very OCD…. So going down the copying back and forth route would depend on 1 thing. I’m hoping someone can shed some light…..

games that are actually installed on the Ps5 and playable, will appear on my dashboard.

games that are only on the hard drive, and not playable until I copy them, will they appear on the dashboard as well?

so effectively… any game I have that’s either on the PS5s SSD or an external usb drive…. Will they all show on the dashboard?

thanks for any help.

jambomakaveli

If paying that much? I don’t understand?

if I wanted to get a 2tb ssd say, when it’s unlocked in the coming weeks, that’s gonna cost around £400 for the seagate 2tb made for Ps5 ssd.

but if I went down the copying route… I could get a usb 3.0 external hdd Thats maybe 2tb for a fraction of that cost.

or am I missing something?

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
If paying that much? I don’t understand?

if I wanted to get a 2tb ssd say, when it’s unlocked in the coming weeks, that’s gonna cost around £400 for the seagate 2tb made for Ps5 ssd.

but if I went down the copying route… I could get a usb 3.0 external hdd Thats maybe 2tb for a fraction of that cost.

or am I missing something?
Sorry, I mis-read your post. I thought you were saying you were paying £200 for an external SSD caddy.

If you use an external it will show up on the dashboard yes, it will also tell you what titles are on the External HD in the library too.

Personally I think i'll be fine with the installed HD for many years. In fairness though I have no intention of downloading COD anytime soon.

jambomakaveli

Sorry, I mis-read your post. I thought you were saying you were paying £200 for an external SSD caddy.

If you use an external it will show up on the dashboard yes, it will also tell you what titles are on the External HD in the library too.

Personally I think i'll be fine with the installed HD for many years. In fairness though I have no intention of downloading COD anytime soon.
That’s good they show up on the dashboard!

the prices of adding an ssd are absolutely crazy. I mean adding a 2tb ssd is pretty much the same price as the console! That’s mental.
I think I’ll go down the hdd external route and copy back and forth. I can always get an ssd later when prices come down.

cheers for your help

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member

I’m the same, I have all the consoles so my games are spread across everything plus I don’t play the kind of games that are insanely huge anyway.

As I only keep games on the machine I’m actively playing, or may want to play in the next six months or whatever Im easily able to manage with default storage, especially as the fancy PS5 compression means the majority of games haven’t ballooned in size from their PS4 counterparts.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
That’s good they show up on the dashboard!

the prices of adding an ssd are absolutely crazy. I mean adding a 2tb ssd is pretty much the same price as the console! That’s mental.
I think I’ll go down the hdd external route and copy back and forth. I can always get an ssd later when prices come down.

cheers for your help
It’s because these are PCIE4.0 nvme storage, basically bleeding edge rapid storage that has only been on the market for less than a year. These drives are now getting so fast they run quite hot and even need additional heat sinks attached.

I wish Samsung, Seagate etc would just pause the tech advances for a couple of years, stop with the constant pushing the boundaries of performance and work on increasing capacity, we need the baseline models to be the 2TB/4TB drives because we’ve been stuck at 1tb being the only half affordable model for so many years now.

MartinMiller

ive bought new a 4tb external HD but how do I get my games saves etc onto it from my 1TB existing hard drive? I’ve uploaded PS5 games to the cloud but how do I get any PS4 games moved

Doctor Hades

I believe PS4 and PS5 game saves can only be stored on the internal console storage (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) so you would have to move the PS4 game saves from your 1TB external HDD onto the PS5's internal storage then disconnect that drive and plug in your new one.

Or are you asking how to move your PS4 games from the 1TB HDD to the new 4TB HDD? If so then you can't directly as the PS5 (stupidly!) does not support multiple external HDDs so you would have to move the games onto the internal PS5 storage from the 1TB drive then disconnect it, plug in the new 4TB drive and then move the games from the internal storage to this new drive. You may have to do this twice as the PS5 only has 667 GB of usable storage.

Tip: To maximise the internal storage space for moving your PS4 games, first move all the PS5 games from the internal storage to your new 4TB drive. You move these back to the internal storage once you have transferred all your PS4 games from the old drive to the new one.

Shakey4

Thinking of getting just an external hdd for ps4 games, will I lose any benefit from doing this rather than on the PS5 ssd? I understand some games get a boost like 60fps, full 4K etc or will they still get these benefits?

I understand games which have been patched for PS5 like Metro Exodus will need to be on the ssd, unless I'm wrong

Wing80surfer

Thinking of getting just an external hdd for ps4 games, will I lose any benefit from doing this rather than on the PS5 ssd? I understand some games get a boost like 60fps, full 4K etc or will they still get these benefits?

I understand games which have been patched for PS5 like Metro Exodus will need to be on the ssd, unless I'm wrong
They will still get those benefits. You might find slower loading times but that's about it. Loading PS4 games from my external HDD is probably on a par with loading from my OG PS4, time wise.

Metro wasn't patched for PS5 so to speak - they released a specific PS5 version of the game. So yeah - will need to be stored internally to play.

Shakey4

They will still get those benefits. You might find slower loading times but that's about it. Loading PS4 games from my external HDD is probably on a par with loading from my OG PS4, time wise.

Metro wasn't patched for PS5 so to speak - they released a specific PS5 version of the game. So yeah - will need to be stored internally to play.
Bought a 2TB Crucial MX500 Ssd connected by SATA for PS4 games so hopefully will get the quicker loading times?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom