• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

External hard drive (formatted to FAT32) not appearing??

bozwellox

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I have an external 300gb USB Seagate drive and I'm hoping to use it with my PS3.

I have read the usual instructions regarding formatting as FAT32 etc, the drive is already FAT32 (from the factory) and I have created the folder structure:

PICTURE
VIDEO
MUSIC
GAME

But when I connect the drive to the PS3 by USB it does not appear at all. Yet when I plug my 4gb Kingston pen drive it picks it up straight away.

Any suggestions? Like I say - it is already in FAT32 format so as far as I'm aware it should just work.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

bozwellox

Standard Member
Solved it! Very weird, although it was formatted as FAT32 there must have been something not quite right with the formatting. I reformatted it as NTFS, then once it had finished used fat32format.exe to format it BACK to FAT32 again, and hey presto it worked.

I've found a few other posts on the web from people having the same problem using a Seagate external drive with the PS3 so must be something to do with the way they are formatted??

Anyway, I'm glad it's sorted!

Johnboy_1975

Solved it! Very weird, although it was formatted as FAT32 there must have been something not quite right with the formatting. I reformatted it as NTFS, then once it had finished used fat32format.exe to format it BACK to FAT32 again, and hey presto it worked.

I've found a few other posts on the web from people having the same problem using a Seagate external drive with the PS3 so must be something to do with the way they are formatted??

Anyway, I'm glad it's sorted!

Got exactly the same problem. Is your drive the grey almost triangular one? Its gonna be a right pain sorting out what to keep before formating it as I only have about 50gb free on my laptop, and there's 240gb on there. :suicide:

Still, time for a spring clean :hiya:

biccys

Standard Member
I had the EXACT same problem. I didn't want to format the external hdd either, so I used my phone to get the backups of games I wanted then just bought a ruddy great big new hdd for the PS3!!

Glad you got it sorted though. Seems strange that "FAT32" in Seagate world doesn't appear to mean "FAT32" in everyone elses?!

potnoodles

I had the EXACT same problem. I didn't want to format the external hdd either, so I used my phone to get the backups of games I wanted then just bought a ruddy great big new hdd for the PS3!!

Glad you got it sorted though. Seems strange that "FAT32" in Seagate world doesn't appear to mean "FAT32" in everyone elses?!

I recommend Seagate software - Discwizard - to format Seagate (and Maxtor ) drives .
Method
Delete all existing partitions
Create a new one and set the format to fat32

Seagate Technology - DiscWizard

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom