• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

External hard drive for tv purpose

dougers1

Standard Member
Hi I recently bought a new samsung tv which lets me watch film via my USB stick...so happy.......I am now thinking that I should buy a external hard drive and have a jukebox of films on it.my question is what one should I go for and why.......500gb/1tb

Please advise
Thanks

Orgun

Standard Member
Any should work fine. I believe that you could get a sub 1tb 2.5" external hard drive to work off of the USB without additional power (but worth checking out), I currently have a 1.5tb 2.5" hard drive plugged into a buffalo network switch and the power from its USB cant power it alone so needs a powered USB hub.

As for 3.5" Hard drives any should be fine. I would look towards getting a case and hard drive separate that way you can change them for large drives at a later date. Really any should be fine though you may want to get a slightly faster 7200rpm hard drive if you intending to play HD but I believe any should work.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Slightly off-thread but still relevant: does anybody know what format these tvs record in? Does the tv have a reasonable file manager built-in as well?

santosh123

Standard Member
I have a 1tb portable western digital( no mains)

And it works a dream I can even play full quality 3D movies a treat

It was also only £70

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom